What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID Needed for NZ 6-inch Solid Projectile

Juzzy

Hello,

I have just obtained this projectile, and was wondering what it could be. My first thought was a 6-inch Mark XXIII naval gun practice projectile that were used on the WWII NZ Cruisers. The rusty projectile is 150mm diameter (5.9 inches) at the base, 515mm high (20.3 inches) and weighs 42.5kg according to my bathroom scales. It has no visible markings, and has a slight indent in the middle of the base. Apart from the Mark XXIII naval guns that were on the WWII NZ Cruisers, the following 6-inch guns have also been used in NZ: 6 inch BLHP disappearing guns, BL 6 inch MK VII, BL 6 inch MK XXI, BL 6 inch MK XXIV, BL 6 inch P III naval guns, BL US Army 155mm field guns, BL 6 inch MK XI on HMS Chatham and BL 6 inch MK XIV on HMS Dunedin (probably others types of 6-inch guns too that I don't know about). I have also included a photo for comparison of a 6-inch practice projectile for the MK XXIII naval gun that I took around 2011 at the NZ Navy Museum in Devonport, Auckland. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

6-inch Projectile 1.jpg6-inch Projectile 2.jpg6-inch Projectile 3.jpg6-inch Projectile 4.jpg6-inch Projectile 5.jpg6-inch Projectile 6.jpg6-inch Projectile 7.jpgAchilles 008.jpgAchilles 009.jpg