What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help With Identification

John P

Evening All,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to place this but I've just been given a small wooden box with the main marking as follows:

10 Exploders HE Bomb 7,39in No 19 Mark III

There are are other stenciled and embossed markings and I'll post some photos tomorrow but a google search on the main designation doesn't reveal much. Has anyone got any ideas as to what this were used with?.

Looking forward to some info,

Regards

John P

John,

Exploders for RAF bombs. xxxx I believe for the smaller types. xxxx

TimG

Exploder 06.jpgExploder 07.jpg
For the time being, ignore the bit about 'smaller types', further enquiries in hand

Last edited:
Having studied AP 1661B, it would appear that for the WWII period the No. 19 Exploder was used with Bombs, H.E., Aircraft, 120lb, 250 and 500lb. But only the early marks, that had a central tube that ran from the nose to the tail, latter marks had separate exploder pockets fore and aft. As the No. 19 is equipped with a 'Pistol Adapter' that is not used in any of these applications, there was presumably other pre-war applications.

TimG
IMG_1444.jpg

Just in case anyone is interested here are a couple of photos of the box (apologies it's taken a bit of time0

P9010004.jpgP9010002.jpgP9010007.jpg

Regards John P