What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 and 3 pounder Projectiles

Listy

Over the weekend I picked up some projectiles from an ammo dealer at a 1940's weekend, and I need some help translating the stamps on the side, and confirming my identification. As both were sold as "Pom Pom" rounds I'm pretty confident they are not.

Round 1:
DSCF4021.jpg

I suspect it's a 2-pounder AP training round, due to the lack of tracer element and the curious flat nose. As well as a "P" in the stamp, the stamp reads:
Text on this is much easier to read though.
VI N
2PrV
P
BS
LB?(might just be a mark, not a letter)
352 (There might be a . between the 5 and the 2)

I'm guessing the P means practice, and the manufacture date is Nov 1942

The Second round holds a bit more interest to me, as I suspect its a 3-pdr round as fired by a Vickers Medium.
DSCF4024.jpg
There is a tracer cavity on the base, its just I've never seen 3-pdr AP listed as AP-T. I am aware of the 3-pdr naval gun, but would they have solid shot?
Markings are: 3pr II MT/N LRA (possibly LBA)
There is a second line, but its very corroded. Best guess is 10?" 11?(maybe a 6) 5 ?(Maybe a F or E)?D

and finally both together:
DSCF4028.jpg

Thanks for the help.

they both look like naval practice shot, made from BS bar steel for the 2pr pom pom and possibley iron for the 3pr. Both are pretty common as they probably all came from a dock crane ballast weight. I'm sure there is much discussion on here to help you if you do some searches.

They even came with original paint plus there was some 2 pounder AT rounds with missing bands that was salvaged for the copper for scrap before they were used as ballast.

there were 6in flat ended practice, 4.7 pointed practice, 3in 20cwt practice as well as 2 and 3pr. and possibley others.