What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 3 inch/13 pounder shell?

Darkman

I was sent a few photos of a round that I may be able to purchase.
It has a 3 inch shell in a 12 pounder 12 hundredweight case (dated 1915). The shell has a driveband that looks like an early 13 pounder (also 3 inch diameter).
But the shell appears to be AP or some form of common pointed explosive variety with perhaps a base fuze.
The seller can't/won't remove the shell to see what's going on, and the only exterior markings are shown in the photo.
The main details may be stamped on the base of the shell.
It looks too long for an AP, but does anyone know what it is?
Was there an AP 13 pounder?

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• 3 inch a1.jpg
    3 inch a1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 78
  • 3 inch b1.jpg
    3 inch b1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 73
From the cutouts, the projectile looks to be sitting in the mouth of a 12 Pounder 12 CWT naval case.

Thanks Drew and Falcon, yes the projectile has been incorrectly fitted inside a separate loading 12 Pr 12 Cwt naval case with mouth cut outs. The driveband looks like an early 13 pdr, but I don't know of such a 13 pdr shell. 12 Pr 12 Cwt shells have a fairly plain driveband.

Last edited:
Howdy Darkman, it has a 3" Nordenfelt feel about it (proj. only) especially with those side stampings like that, but the d/band is puzzling! It would be great to get a look at the base of the proj???
Regards Ozzi.

Seven years someone post that but don't remember really, A good way i think could help (not the same driving band)
Just to say that the 13 Pr have the same way of 18Pr and i know AP 18 Pr Mk1 and more design exist
13pr (1280x816).jpg