What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Tail fuze special No 37 info

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Does anyone could post a diagram (maybe a picture) of british tail fuze No 37 (AP 2000lb), sister of No 30 special used on SAP.

Regards

do you mean this? If yes, look at my HP under No. 30 II Mk I

Attachments

• No 30 MK.I  für Panzerbombe..jpg
    No 30 MK.I für Panzerbombe..jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 30
  • No 30 MK.I für Panzerbombe.JPG
    No 30 MK.I für Panzerbombe.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 36
Minenaz16,

According to AP1661B, only the early 2000lb bombs used the No.37 Fuze. The Mk IV and converted Mk.s II & III, used the No.30 Pistol.
Strangely, there is no mention of the No.37 Fuze in British Bomb and Rocket fuzes.

TimG

P.S. Just found this entry -

The No. 37 series Fuzes differ from the No. 30 Series Fuzes in being longer to cater for different bomb tail sizes; as such the arming spindle is fitted with two universal joints.

Last edited:
Fusse2004, same subject but I'm looking for informations on No 37 special tail fuze, modified No 30 special (longer body...)

No 30 II Mk I

forget!!! Harry

Attachments

• Heckzünder No. 30 für Panzerbomben.jpg
    Heckzünder No. 30 für Panzerbomben.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 40
As I was searching details of No 37 special tail fuze, I learned there was another sister for No 30 : No 34 special tail fuze for AP 450lb.
Another mysterious fuze

1.jpg2.jpg

I found that in my documents! Mr.Pelot.

Attachments

• 351.jpg
    351.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 352.jpg
    352.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 353.jpg
    353.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 354.jpg
    354.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 355.jpg
    355.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 356.jpg
    356.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 17
yes, I have this documentation but no diagram of No34 and No37 tail fuzes (following pages on sap bombs show diagrams of No30 tail fuze).
The author used to translate original US, British or German documentations.
He likes ww2 german expertises and in this case German talked about an AP 1000lb and Belot mentionned it's a mistake made by German experts.

Minenaz16,

Extract from - British Bomb and Rocket Pistols and Fuzes.

“The No. 34 fuze was originally designed for use in a 450 lb AP bomb development of which began in 1924. The main requirement for the fuze was that it should provide a delay equivalent to 50/16m travel after striking ¾ inch steel plate at 700 ft per second. The design proposed was for a vane-armed tail fuze with a pyrotechnic delay and a primary detonator maintained out-of-line with an inertia pellet until the fuze armed. The rotation of the arming vanes unscrewed an arming spindle from the inertia pellet and allowing the primary detonator shutter to rotate in alignment with the explosive train. On impact the inertia pellet flew forward to initiate the primary detonator, the flash from which ignited the delay train; this in turn initiated the main detonator. During development it was decided to incorporate a reduction gear on the arming vane to ensure a safe separation from the release aircraft before the fuze became armed. The fuze was extremely sensitive to vibration.

Further protracted development trials ensued and were not completed until June 1930, but production of the Fuze was delayed until the following December to await manufacture of the bombs. Very few Fuzes had been produced by July 1932 when production of the 450 lb AP was cancelled and with it, the requirement for the No. 34 Fuze.”

TimG