What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 questions

earni74

Premium Member
003.jpg002.jpginformation on 12 Pdr case and 18 Pdr case
(1) can anyone explain why there is a naval anchor on the 18 Pdr case and who the manufacturer is
(2) can anyone tell me why the 12 Pdr case is raised around the primer hole and others do not
thanks

1) It's made by Kynoch and it would appear one of their Inspectors marked cases with an anchor.

2) I have a similar 12 Pr 12 Cwt case. The upset on my case was most certainly caused post production as there are stampings that are of equal depth that straddle the raised portion and outer part of the head. My guess - is it is something to do with the necessity of having a recess in the breech block to accommodate the protruding primer. With a chamber pressure of something like 17 tons per square inch and that amount of the cartridge head being unsupported - one would expect some distortion.

TimG