What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14Lbr Blacker Bombard filling

Listy

This is a hell of a question. I have oodles of documents stating the weight of the 14Lbr HE round for the Blacker Bombard. Even trails with different fillings. But I don't have a document that states what the service round was filled with.

I've seen one document that suggests it was 80/20 Amatol, which is certainly one of the options. However it states t was placed inside a chipboard box to lower the explosive velocity, to provide better fragmentation. This seems suspect, although lowering the density of the fuel was discussed at one point. As not one other diagram of the HE projectile, shows such a box.

So does anyone have a confirmed answer they can helpfully provide?
Thanks.

There are two mentions as regards to fillings for the 14 lb Blacker Bombard in 'Ammunition Bulletins' - The first states 1.6 lbs of Nobel's 704B, the second states Amatol 80/20 with no charge weight given.

TimG

There are two mentions as regards to fillings for the 14 lb Blacker Bombard in 'Ammunition Bulletins' - The first states 1.6 lbs of Nobel's 704B, the second states Amatol 80/20 with no charge weight given.

TimG

Thanks.

I think I've figured it out.

Experimental ammo was 1.75lbs, the service ammo was 1.66lbs. As Amatol was too powerful they had to put in the chipboard box to lower its explosive power. Which accounts for the reduced payload.
Nobels 704b was too similar to Ammonal, with the attended problems. They did knock up a few warheads with that filling for testing though.