What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why "Blind"?

Listy

I've often wondered this.

As I peruse the ordnance board reports it often mentions "blinds" in trails. The question is, what is the etymology of the word "Blind" it seems so disconnected with the field? The only answer I can come up with is in ye olde days, a cannon that didn't function normally had a good chance of detonating in the face of the poor sod who had to go and clear the hang fire, and thus cause blindness.

Of course that assumes that the word Blind is used the same as it is today etc etc, and seems rather too neat and not technical enough.

So would anyone know?

Blind in german has the same meaning as blind in english language regarding the eyesight. The words "blind gefüllt" means "inert filled" for example but it's old style military german - it's possible that todays youth without interest in ordnance may not understand what it means. In mining terminology I know the word "Blindschacht" which means "blind shaft" wich is a shaft without connection to the earth surface.

Yes a dud is a Blindgänger.

Perhaps if the projectile doesn't explode when it lands/hits anything, then you don't see where it landed? Depotman

According to the Ordnance Board Glossary of Terms, against 'BLIND' it says see 'DUD'.
Against 'DUD' it says: Explosive munition which has not armed as intended or which has failed to explode after being armed.

Dud and the German "Blind" do not cover the same meaning, as a "Blind" was never intended to explode, a dud malfunctioned (failed to explode).
In German "Blind", is used in the context of "non functional", e.g. "Blinde Füllung" when baking the bottom/cup of a pie (using paper and dried peas to line the inside of the cup, which are removed after baking) to which filling is added in a second stage.
So a " Blinde Füllung" does serve a purpose (adding weight, giving/keeping shape etc.), yet does not do what the "live" filling is supposed to do.

Last edited:
Could its usage in English come from the word "Blimey" which is a corruption of the old English curse or oath "God blind me" . You can imagine some gunner in the past seeing his shell fail to explode & saying "Blimey , what happened to that ?" . It then got shortened to just Blind . Stranger origins are known to exist !

Don't forget American Naval usage with "BLP" ( Blind Load and Plugged) for inert training rounds.

Listy's original question was to do with OB Trials.

The more up to date UK JSP definition is:

" BLIND - A prepared explosive store which, though initiated, has failed to arm as intended or which has failed to explode after being armed (see MISFIRE). Alternately, an explosive item that fails to function correctly after initiation".

"MISFIRE - Failure to fire or launch as intended".