What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sectioned fuze ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I believe this is a Japanese fuze similar in outward design to those German fuzes of WW1. It measures 22cm top to bottom. I have not been able to locate any information on it so far, so would appreciate any help.

20190904_155520_resized.jpg20190904_155531_resized.jpg20190904_160224.jpg

Apologies but I cannot get the last picture to rotate.

Do you have a picture of the top and what is the outside diameter of the threads? Stamping on the booster looks like Dutch.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the top and what is the outside diameter of the threads? Stamping on the booster looks like Dutch.

Greif, I'm sure you are thinking to Dutch Sb No 25 or 26.
(No 25 and 26 seem to be from the same family of No 12 and 13)

Last edited:
I thought the stamping on the gain was reminisant of the way the Japanese marked their cases, I didn't think of it being Dutch. Outside thread diameter is 45mm and top picture attached.

20190904_172208_resized.jpg

Greif, I'm sure you are thinking to Dutch Sb No 25 or 26.
(No 25 and 26 seem to be from the same family of No 12 and 13)

Yes, you are right, I was thinking of one of those fuzes. The numbers 12 and 13 are related to Naval fuzes of which each fuze has 3 models. So Schokbuis No 12, Models 1 to 3 and Schokbuis No 13, Models 1 to 3.
The Dutch army took over some 24 cm and 15L40 guns from the Dutch navy to serve as coastal defence guns. One of the models of Schokbuis No 12 became the Army Schokbuis No 25 (diameter at the threads 50 mm) for the 24 cm shells. The Schokbuis No 13, 2nd Model became the Army Schokbuis No 26 (diameter at the threads 46 mm) for the HE shells of the 15 cm L40 No.3 gun.
But I can't tell for sure whether this particular sectioned model was from the Navy or the Army fuze. So it could be Schokbuis No. 13, 2nd Model (Navy) or Schokbuis No. 26 (Army).

Attachments

• sb no 26.jpg
    sb no 26.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 52
Excellent information, thanks to both. The threads on this fuze can be considered to be 46mm, not 50mm, so I believe it is the Army Schokbuis No 26 for the HE shells of the 15 cm L40 No.3 gun.

What period would this fuze have been used?

I don't know for sure, it were very old guns, I think in 1940 already obsolete. But the Germans could use every old gun that was able to fire, so I think they did.

So i'm guessing the guns were taken over and used by the Germans then?

Maybe taken over (but never seen here) but originally made in Germany by Krupp for the Netherlands. Maybe also produced in the Netherlands in license but I think only with a small chance.

I think 1933-40 is much to late. Krupp made such fuzes around 1900.

The guns were from 1899. Ship guns at first. Then after 1932 they served as coastal guns up to 1940. The colored drawing is from a instruction wall plate that was made in 1938. So the fuze was still in service in that year. The no.1 HE shell was replaced by a new one (No. 2) which was equipped with the Schokbuis No. 40. I believe only six 15 cm L40 No.3 guns were placed along the Dutch coast, along with L40 No.1, 2 and 4 guns.
Keep in mind that Holland was neutral in WW1, so the ammo for these guns was still in stock. We Dutch were very economical with our guns and ammo.

Last edited:
Yes, I know these instruction plates. It was the starting date 1933 which was much to late for me. The fuze fits well for a year 1899 gun.

Thought I would show this one, same dimensions ,22cm total length thread diameter 46mm.
A more complicated fuze internally.The only markings are as shown U K F and a feathered arrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 19