What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Mortar Fuze No152A1 Mk1 A.D (AUST).

ron3350

I will list all my Australian Mortar fuzes showing different views. Not often seen by overseas collectors.

This is the No152A1 A.D (AUST) dated 1944. Sectioned fuze is shown. I need to find a complete fuze.
A.D I assume means safe to Air Drop and the small diameter cap is made by D.C.C. over V. Who is this company?

I also show a steel ring that came with this fuze (3 views) . I wonder how the (AUST) differs from UK fuzes?

Photo 1 No152A1 A.D (AUST).jpgPhoto 2.jpgPhoto 3.jpgPhoto 4.jpgPhoto 5.jpg

No152A1 MH&K Photo 1.jpgPhoto 2.jpgPhoto 3 Cap.jpgAnother Fuze No152A1 but made by McH&K monogram which I need identified. Who is this maker?
It uses a larger cap 40.5mm .(The smaller caps are only 38mm diameter).

The body is marked differently with a monogram: MH&K without the c. Dated 3/43.
There is no safety pin , just a brass cover .

Fuze No152A1 by D.C.C. over V.jpgD.C.C. over V cap on and off .jpgD.C.C.over V cap variations.jpgThird variation of Fuze No152A1 by D.C.C. over V. Who is this Australian maker?
Small cap with no safety, just a brass cap. Dated 7/43.
I show two cap letter variations with the A1 wider apart

Australian No152A1 converted to No162 Mk1(AUST).

Another Australian variation. Was a No152A1 4/43 by Duly & Hansford,Sydney (D&H in a triangle monogram).
Converted to a No162 MK1 (AUST) 10/45 by McH&K. Has a small cap.
It has a white safety tab with black printing. The cap marks on the top have been removed and stencilled in black print :
McH&K No162 1 and arrow.
Fuze No162 Mk1 converted .jpgNo162 Mk1 Cap on and off..jpg

MA Lithgow No162 Mk10.jpgLithgow cap on and off.jpgLithgow cap top view.jpgLast Fuze is a No162 Mk10 marked MA 77 for Lithgow 1977. Small cap. Remains of white tape.
Body is red stamped: MA 77 BG 162 Mk 10. 33-MY-2-79 meaning filled St.Marys 1979.
Has a brass safety tab impressed: REMOVE BEFORE FIRING with a clip on the end to keep secure.

Thank you for displaying these.

Your first 152 A1 section shows the ball which is obviously steel. In British service the ‘A’ indicates that the ball is steel not aluminium, otherwise it would have been a 152, so it looks as though Australia went along with this.
If the pin label relates to that fuze there should be a small hole for the pin to go through and lock the ball, hence the label. ‘A.D’. would then mean suitable for air dropping. British references say that a local modification was carried out hastily at that particular time and the letter ‘M’ was put after the ‘A’ to denote suitable for air dropping.

You make a point about the larger cap in the second reply. From what I can see, the larger cap seems to match the 4.2” mortar 152 fuzes, but no technical pamphlets give any width measurements on fuze drawings, yet loads of length measurements. I make the point here that 3” Mor. is an infantry weapon and 4.2” is an artillery weapon and at that time they were only issued fuzed, so the difference would be obvious. Only technical staff in an ammunition depot would be involved in large scale removal of fuzes as part of repair programmes.
There is a note in a 1962 D.I.Arm. fuze publication that “the side walls of the inside removable cap and that the external surfaces of the safety cap are coloured BLUE”.

The last reply Fuze DA 162 Mk10 has the small cap.

Here is a list of 162 fuzes and the associated weapon:

3” 1, 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 4, 4/1, 4/2, 8, 10.

4.2” 3, 3/1, 3/2,3/3, 5, 5/1, 5/2, 7,9.

Marks 8 and 10 are also used with 81mm Mortar.

Mark 2 was designed and produced in India for their use only.

Perhaps someone with 3” or 4.2” Mortar user manuals could see if there was any specified cap size for the particular fuze mark related to which weapon. Although the cap size variation is small it would be huge to a trained mortarman.

Last edited by a moderator:
AE501
I thank you for your reply. I managed to repeat my queries 4 times somehow with my non-computer skills.
I have saved your good information for my files. Do not forget my Mk11 plug fuze.
The larger cap always was of interest to me. That is why I noted the diameters.
I now need Tim G or someone to identify my Australian makers. I have no manuals or references and I am pleased that you UK members can help. Ron.

Ron,

As requested -

DCC / V - Dominion Can Company, Melbourne.
McK&H - McKenzie & Holland (Aust) Pty., Ltd., Australia.

TimG

I will list all my Australian Mortar fuzes showing different views. Not often seen by overseas collectors.

This is the No152A1 A.D (AUST) dated 1944. Sectioned fuze is shown. I need to find a complete fuze.
A.D I assume means safe to Air Drop and the small diameter cap is made by D.C.C. over V. Who is this company?

I also show a steel ring that came with this fuze (3 views) . I wonder how the (AUST) differs from UK fuzes?

View attachment 155307View attachment 155308View attachment 155309View attachment 155310View attachment 155311
Gday Ron, do you have the pin to go in the steel ring was wondering what it looked like

Just going to bed (1AM). There is no pin in this sectioned fuze and no hole in the white steel ring.
It came with this fuze and may not be correct but matches the No152A1 (AUST) on the fuze.
My question is: Why is there a clip on the side of the ring? What purpose? Ron.

Photo 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just going to bed (1AM). There is no pin in this sectioned fuze and no hole in the white steel ring.
It came with this fuze and may not be correct but matches the No152A1 (AUST) on the fuze.
My question is: Why is there a clip on the side of the ring? What purpose? Ron.

View attachment 155506
I believe the clip holds the ring of the pin to prevent it accidentally being removed

this is the only pic I can find on the net of the cover with a pin but it gives you an idea of how it works

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-16 21.55.57.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-09-16 21.55.57.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 35
Any safety pin must be under the removeable cap and should have nothing to do with this white ring.
If bent inwards the clip may put pressure on the sleeve and the removeable cap so it does not come off till actually pulled off before firing.

I just saw your latest post. I have not seen this ring before unless it just keeps the white cap in position.
I am open to all new information.

I think the pin may possibly go through the hole in the removable cap and then the white cap goes over the top holding the ring of the pin with the clip. I am only guessing because there are no pics of this set up to confirm. Like you say im open to new information