What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone recognize this submunition?

ad00f7ec4806ebc8524fd23c00307a35.jpg

Does anyone recognize this submunition or have any info on how it works? If so, thanks for your help.

Doesn't quite look correct though, the cloth and coloring is off. It could be the photo, but I suspect it might be a copy, perhaps made for training purposes.

I' d have to check that by printing the posting and comparing it to your link.
regretfully most internet sources where I got the rest of my info from are gone by now either have changed from provider.
This posting is an old Wk2 ammo forum posting I placed here today

Last edited:
I assume designation of different models is ok on this website : http://www.inertord.com/subgravelmines.html

Not to sure about that. The designation looks like it is probably copied from the Picatinny CBU book, but I don't put much faith in a website that doesn't list their references. There is so much crap out there anymore by self professed "experts" that sorting through it can be a full time job.
Again, I don't trust their photograph. The gravel mines appear to be made from a different cloth, the stitching is also different and some of the shapes don't look right. In addition the inert stamps are all identical and the cloth and wear of the cloth is the same on each. I'm throwing the bullshit flag.
The only true ID collection/boards that I've seen for the gravel mines were at the Picatinny Arsenal Museum - broken down and shipped to Aberdeen - broken down and shipped to Ft. Lee. With items pilfered and lost at every stop I don't know if they still exists or not. They have been posted on this forum previously. While not all inclusive they are at least true and correct, not someone's fantasy pieces. There have also been some training pieces. I believe some were in one of the E. German training kits as well as one of the Chinese training kits. Those are also close, but not quite correct.

Your reference is sound, as suspected it is copied from the PA CBU book, also known as the "Blue Book". I am always frustrated by these sites that pirate the work from other sources, without giving credit where it is due (see Gordon's thread). Without giving the source you prevent researchers from finding additional information that you failed to include, source data, etc. Whether it is intentional, lazy or what, I don't know, but it seems to be happening more and more often.
based on the photo provided, I still doubt that this is an original gravel mine. The correct material is a tighter weave, and a soft cloth. I have a number of examples, several of which were purchased from the estate of a former worker at the production facility. I have also had the opportunity to examine and photograph the identification boards which show several of the models, at the former ordnance collection/museum at Picatinny Arsenal. They just are not the same.
A number of copies have been made over the years for legitimate purposes. I have seen them in E. German mine identification sets, Chinese ID sets, and US training materials as well. These have their own collection value as training items, but should be identified correctly.

IMG_1291.jpgIMG_1292.jpgIMG_1293.jpgIMG_1295.jpg