What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reproduction 2in Mortar Bomb Carrier

iaustin

Reproduced an Australian WW2 36M grenade box and contents a while back. I posted a description of the work and some photos so I thought I'd share my latest project. Have wanted a 2 inch mortar round carrier assembly for a long while so in view of the scarcity and corresponding sky high prices, Down Under at least, I decided to attempt to build one. Photo of my efforts enclosed. One photo shows one of my replicas with a genuine 3 in round carrier for comparison. Made up two of the carriers., the lighter "cleaner" one is for a mate. The tubes are made from PVC plumbing pipe as are the caps, the only original components are the carry handle which I scored years from a surplus outlet plus the web strapping. Couldn't find out much info on the markings but other than that am reasonably happy with the results.

2in Carrier 6.jpgBoth  Carriers.jpg2in Carrier 9.jpg

Hi, they look quite good for display.
I made a couple of the 2” carriers years ago for a re-enactment group. I used the thick wall cardboard tubes from inside the paper rolls used in a plotter printer. The pressed tin end caps came from the lids of fancy oatmeal biscuits.
A friend made some carriers for PIAT or 3” using the cardboard tube that carpets are rolled on in carpet stores, not sure what he used for the lids.