What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B167 question.

egdod

I have purchased a B167 box today,whilst the exterior has been repainted i assume post war the interior still has the
light almost pea green colour still intact.....the manufacturer is CMC...is this Canadian?...thanks in advance.

I have purchased a B167 box today,whilst the exterior has been repainted i assume post war the interior still has the
light almost pea green colour still intact.....the manufacturer is CMC...is this Canadian?...thanks in advance.

If pea green, likely was for smoke bombs. CMC is Crittalls of window fame.

If pea green, likely was for smoke bombs. CMC is Crittalls of window fame.

Thanks for the reply Adrian, i have several ammo boxes in this pea green paint and was led to believe that this was a Canadian colour....don’t suppose you have a idea of a good match?
regards

The package colour of smoke producing projectiles at that time was described as LIGHT GREEN with yellow stencilling.
UK Light brunswick green is to BS 381C Colour Number 225 with stencilling in Golden Yellow to colour number 356.

The original paint Canadian boxes I have are darker than light brunswick green.
DSCF0011.jpg
I'll compare it to a colour chart and see if I can get a close match.

Thanks both for the info,i will take a picture of the inside of the box as it is a very light green.

The package external colour and markings appear to be original. The external package colour was Deep Bronze Green to BS381C Colour Number 224 before the colour changed, during WWII, to what was then known as colour Camouflage Brown No.2. which became BS381C Brown No 411. The package internal colour is not significant, more as a preservative.

Last edited:
I have another ammo box with the same internal colour which appears to have the same colour externally....in fact there seems to be several boxes about with the same pea green colour to the interior and exterior.

Light green externally painted packages were for smoke producers. See earlier reply. This applied to both wood and metal packages until the brown external colour change started in 1944.

20190905_174917.jpg

Hi

This is my B167 purchased for a fiver from a flea market a few weeks ago. Was painted in green metallic Hammerite but after applying paint stripper I uncovered some of the original green.
The inside is Hammerited and scraping some off reveals clean metal. Were these primed before spraying?

Smoke producer is a phrase to over all natures and/or types of ammunition which were designed primarily to produce smoke, without having to name them individually and which may be packaged in many different ways to cover their different sizes and shapes. These include mortar bombs, shells (QF fixed, separate and breech loading), grenades, smoke generators, signal cartridges, base ejection smoke shell, skytrail shell and rockets smoke puff flash, to name but a few.

B167 colour

Another B167 recently bought, a Mark I and has a V before the date 1942. 'V' being the manufacturer?

20190920_163040.jpg20190920_163133.jpg20190921_133025.jpg

This is another box that has had the metal separator slats inside hammered flat to store things better. Painted in that light blue Hammerite; then again everything was painted in Hammerite years ago!
Removed the metal slats to straighten them out and as the photo shows uncovered this dark green paint that I'm assuming the bare metal was sprayed with before assembly.

Hi

Definitely a V, not an arrow.

20190926_201220.jpg

The horrible blue Hammerite has a thick coat of grey primer underneath and where the metal hasn't rust, it is clean, no sign of brown or pea green. Now ready for priming and I think I'll be going for aluminium flat solid rivets to refit the removed metal panels.