What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E.K.Z. f. W.M.E., who knows more about this?

Mrfuze

Premium Member
Hello,
I got this fuze, which is in a pretty bad shape inside. It has unusual 3 centrifugal flaps in the upper body and a strange all-ways arrangement in its base.
The only markings are;" E.K.Z.f.W.M.E." and "119d", no other markings. I think the translation for the markings are: "Empfindlicher Kopfzuender fuer Wurfminen", I don't know the "E" designation which, on other fuzes means "mit Entgasungsloechern = with gas escape holes" but here I am not sure since there are none. Does anybody knows more about this fuze or the exact nomenclature? Or has somebody seen this type of internal configurations?
Any help would be great!_DSC8989.JPG_DSC8985.JPG_DSC8980.JPG_DSC8967.JPG

As far as I know , an ‘E’ in terms of l.W.M. is the following : l. Spr. M. 16 Erna (Ernaliese) : Forged steel with screwed head
Theres two other names for the l. Spr. M. 16 , they refer to the specifications & the way of production.

@Bever: this fuze won't fit on a WW1 mortar shell. It's an after war experimental fuze with metrical thread.

Einheitskopfzünder für Wurfminen Einsatz (?)

Last edited:
What I noticed is that all markings are written to each other, including the lot number. Also that there is no year marking. Perhaps the E stands for the year code 1931. So year E and lot number 119d.

I know a M.W.M.Z. which has only the "E" + number marking (no fuze designation) and I think it's from the same time period. I don't think the number is a lot number. It's an experimental fuze for sure. Such fuzes are not made in 10000 piece lots. The "E" could also mean "Erprobung". And "Eisen" would be an idea too because there are Iron parts inside. But everything is guessing which doesn't really help here.

@Bever the first "E" always means "Empfindlicher" like Mrfuze wrote. There wasn't any fuze called "Einheitskopfzünder" at any time. This word I think is a misunderstanding from allied documents. There was just the "Einheitsmunition" (combined HE + shrapnel shells) for field guns and howitzers but both flopped because HE effect was too small. The worst translation for "E.K.Z" was "Elektrischer Kopf Zünder" for an E.K.Z.16 which I found a german military museum :banghead:

Didnt they use Einheitskopfzünder in the early 1920’s ? I’ve seen a brass fuze, looking very similar , except it was made in one piece & noted : ‘E.K.Z. f. 8,8cm Flak’

Another one , also made in brass , noted ‘A.Z. f 15cm Gr. 18.E. Verz. 0,8’ and was essentially a A.Z. 23 umg. 0,8

and what about the E.P.Z. (7,7cm P.) ?

Not trying to contradict anyone by the way , it’s just that it is an interesting subject.

Hi
Just to say that after the WW1 german made a fuze L.W.M.Z.23 for 7.6 cm LWM modified, This fuze seem the same like your
After this fuze take the name of I.JGr. Z. 23 for 7.5cm light shell gun

Thank you all for your thoughts, it seems there is no clear definition for it yet. You know I have a extensive collection but I have never seen the lower "all-ways" action part in any other fuze made that way so I think it is experimental too.

I have seen it in 15cm Practice shells with a lower action system , those had a steel dummy on top , screwed to a brass lower section . These shells had wooden plugs screwed into threaded holes in the projectile. On impact , a small explosive charge & smoke charge would blow the wooden plugs out & produce this smoke to see where it landed. These are ww1 shells by the way.

Then theres the Exerzier Wurfmine mit Rauchladung (7,58cm)

Also , In attachment , another 7,5cm light infantry shell (with holes , for smoke charge) however : this one is threaded in M50 x 3 .

in attachment , images of all the above mentioned. The rights of these images belong to myself. 2019

FB753CAE-2C49-4625-99E1-944CB1445E4B.jpg40900FD3-45C1-4D8A-9FF1-0FFF0B17D52B.jpg02EFCE6B-7497-44A4-B466-01F8C492FC0B.jpgFCD0C80E-5775-46C8-9832-B775E7A5CF9E.jpg4DF3A690-B334-4584-8212-0407FA54D679.jpg2654E73A-6B34-4984-8168-195882EDE5F0.jpg