What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Cigar Trimmer

Gspragge

Premium Member
They made lots of these, this one from a pre 1897 Gruson 37mm projectile.
Many are unmarked, this one has the original German Patent marks.

Attachments

• ct1.jpg
    ct1.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 32
  • ct2.jpg
    ct2.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 37
Very nice Gordon,
I know plenty of these were made but I have not managed to add one to my collection yet. I don't generally collect trench art but do smoke the odd cigar and can not think of a more appropriate tool for the job.
Best Weasel.

I too have also found these cigar cutters good fun and quite a few variants too!IMG_1784 (2).jpg

The "Geschossfabrik Otto Jachmann AG" was one of the most advanced factories for Artillery shells and fuzes during and before war. In 2nd WW the Hartung & Jachmann AG was again a mayor ammunition factory. Because of their leadership in both wars this factory was a official consultant for smaller factories which had no experience in producing ammunition.

The middle trimmer in Pysall's image must be the oldest form. I had one once and it turns
out to be not a converted projectile but a wholly made up cutter to look like one. The bands
look good , but are thin metal over a raised cast rib in the body. I think one of the scarcer kinds.
Here is an image of a set from an old ebay sale that I saw. The lighter, well after it's lit as there is no
actual lighter mechanism it could be passed around the table so everyone could light their cigars.
I have only seen this one example. Don't know how Weasel has avoided one all these years, I don't
think they are so rare, perhaps bad luck !

Attachments

• CigarCutrLtr.jpg
    CigarCutrLtr.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 16