What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Bulgarian 75mm Mountain Gun Case

Vasco Da Gama

This small case turned up in the UK recently and I added it to the collection based upon not often seeing German made cases for I think Bulgaria. The size is: length 118mm, rim 88mm and mouth 75/76mm. The case was without a primer, I have shown it with a standard German primer for the M15 Skoda mountain gun which screws in easily. Also pictured alongside a M15 case for comparison.
My reading of the Cyrillic script would indicate the case was made in Karlsruhe, with an abbreviated Friedrich Krupp added to the case, dated 1917 with a Cyrillic G for date. This pattern of marking is similar to Krupp made cases for the Turkish military. The seller thought it was Russian, but I really don't think Krupp would be making export cases for Russia at this point! The only record of a case of this size I can find mentions a Krupp blockhouse gun. The general size for me could also indicate a mountain gun, very happy to be educated. I guess this item was a souvenir of the Salonika campaign, a part of WW1 often overlooked in the UK.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 55
A good primer would be a "Fried. Krupp" stamped one. But they are difficult to find alone. Bulgaria is correct. The name of the gun should be 7,5 cm Geb. K. Krupp L/14.But I am sure there's not only one Krupp mountain gun which used this type of case. The gun was used during war also by the german army.

Hello Alpini,
from my archive, the oldest case was made in 1898....
regards

Very many thanks Alpini, great to have you contributing to this site!
The Bulgarians and Turks used a Model 1904/05, mountain gun. Do you think this case size is correct for these guns?
I will have to look out for a Friedrich Krupp primer!

Hello Alpini,
This case has no identification code. 75x118 straight

Here pic
86ad202a-34a8-4448-b13e-d0f3ade5e5b4.jpg

About “40” just berndorf Made with Turkish primer, Do you see other cases with this marking?

Regards

Last edited:
Hello,
Last year, I found the same case with cyrillic markings in addition of two others I found together about ten years ago. One made by Patronenfabrik Karlsruhe and one made by Berndorf. So, I think austrian army also used this gun. These two cases have the number 835 in the stamping, does anyone knows if it is a german or an austrian identification number?
As said by Alpini, the three primers are stamped " Fried Krupp AG " and one has also the number 12 for C12 I guess.
Regards,
Dandebur.Bulgarie.jpgPFK.jpgBerndorf.jpg

Thanks to Alpini's identification of the case I had a look through the collection and came up with these 2 cases. One less necked, possibly fired, made in Düsseldorf in 1916. The same case from the same factory, made in 1914, is pictured with Arabic trench art, including a Camel. I would offer the guns that used this case were in use by Bulgaria, Germany and Turkey.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 26
I think it is a rule with this interest that when you find something new to you another comes along soon after! This 2-part brass and steel case turned up recently. I think I can just make out a date of 1917 in a good light. I am surprised this type of case was being manufactured for a gun of this nature, relatively few in service and not the best of breed.

Attachments

• E3AFFE0B-B1B0-4655-A716-7AA3FEA01CDA.jpg
    E3AFFE0B-B1B0-4655-A716-7AA3FEA01CDA.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 25
  • 5B5C87B4-F1BE-47C2-8DD9-DCC10E2B8285.jpg
    5B5C87B4-F1BE-47C2-8DD9-DCC10E2B8285.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 30