What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 2cm (possibly becker)

ulaire

I recently acquired this as a German WW1 "Becker", but I can't find this type of projectile in any of my documentation.
It might just be some other 20mm projectile, but I'm not really an expert on that. So can anybody help me out with the identification.

length with fuze 8,7cm
length without fuze 7,3cm
driving band 3mm

becker-01.jpgbecker-02.jpgbecker-03.jpgbecker-04.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone?
I actually have two of these, and might sell one. But I would really like to know if it is German WW1 or something else before selling.

The case is a Becker. The projectile to me looks like a tracer that has had its top cut off and a home-made top plug inserted. Check the dimensions against a standard HE. Also, is there a solid base to the projectile or is there a tracer plug (or missing altogether?) There should also be some markings on the projectile - however, if it is an ex-tracer projectile the markings usually appear at the top which in your example might have been cut off to accept the plug.
IMG_2679 (2).jpg

Case sure is Becker, I have 3 but hahv not seen this fuze. Switzerland supposedly made them, but I have never seen one.

Bottom is solid, no tracer. Also, everything fits really well, it doesn't feel homemade, altered or tampered with.
And for markings, only an "8" on the bottom of one of the projectiles (not the other), for the rest nothing.
The brass part of the fuze also seems to be screwed in (tried to capture that on photo, but it doesn't really show), it's stuck though.
I also included a photo of the inside of the fuze, just in case that would help.

becker-05.jpg becker-06.jpg becker-07.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
I have to admit that the solid base does look very Becker-like, especially with the single number and illegible squiggles. It is not an incendiary body as the fuse does not finish on a taper (as in your example) but on the parallel.
In short - I do not know. If you wanted to swap your duplicate projectile with a spare Lichtspur of mine, just PM me.
Rod