What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German Igniter

ron3350

I need the correct name for this WW1 igniter possibly for a large Minenwerfer?. And the weapon which used it.
One was shortened 3mm due to end damage. Length is 62.5mm.
Where does this item screw into and who is maker A ?. Looks like a copper pull ring was at the top. All info welcome.

Igniter c.jpgIgniter b.jpgIgniter a.jpg

It's name is simply "Reibzündschraube". It was used basically for the medium (17 cm) and heavy (25 cm) mortars (Minenwerfer) but also for the 24 cm "schwerer Ladungswerfer (Erhardt)". Maybe it was used for other mortars too (probably the 18 cm smooth bore mortar and not sure about the Flügelminenwerfer).

Factory-stamps for such things are almost unknown.

Last edited:
If the large one is called “Reibzündschraube”, what is the name of the small one?
(both are empty btw).

Attachments

• 67C697EE-EA5C-45D2-9313-8D20BCFA8964.jpg
    67C697EE-EA5C-45D2-9313-8D20BCFA8964.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 688470D8-91B4-4998-9AF9-41984CF0CD2F.jpg
    688470D8-91B4-4998-9AF9-41984CF0CD2F.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The small one is for Artillery : "Reisszündschraube" or "Frictionszündschraube"

Last edited:
It's name is simply "Reibzündschraube". It was used basically for the medium (17 cm) and heavy (25 cm) mortars (Minenwerfer) but also for the 24 cm "schwerer Ladungswerfer (Erhardt)". Maybe it was used for other mortars too (probably the 18 cm smooth bore mortar and not sure about the Flügelminenwerfer).

Factory-stamps for such things are almost unknown.

Hello, Yes it was used for the 24 cm Flügel Minenwerfer. You can see it in vintage photography.

If the large one is called “Reibzündschraube”, what is the name of the small one?
(both are empty btw).

The small one was used for mostly obsolete german guns like the 9 cm Kanone C73/88 etc. They are often stamped with the maker "WMJ" which was the "Westfälische Medall Industrie" in Lippstadt, nowadays the well know Hella-Werke.

Yes, the small "Reibzündschraube" (not "Reisszündschraube") was used in guns with "Central primer hole" only. This central primer hole was in the center of the closed breech block. The different 9 cm guns had no central primer hole but an ignition hole on the upper side of the barrel and used the "Feldschlagröhre". I think the "Feldschlagröhre" was inserted directly into the opened breechblock from the upper side and pulled by a cord/wire through the ignition hole but I am not sure about it. Clarification would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• C73 breech block.jpg
    C73 breech block.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 51
  • C73-91.jpg
    C73-91.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Krupp Zündschraube.jpg
    Krupp Zündschraube.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Primers.jpg
    Primers.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Yes, the small "Reibzündschraube" (not "Reisszündschraube") was used in guns with "Central primer hole" only. This central primer hole was in the center of the closed breech block. The different 9 cm guns had no central primer hole but an ignition hole on the upper side of the barrel and used the "Feldschlagröhre". I think the "Feldschlagröhre" was inserted directly into the opened breechblock from the upper side and pulled by a cord/wire through the ignition hole but I am not sure about it. Clarification would be much appreciated.

Hello Alpini
I think I made a confusion with Reißzünder (translated in french Reisszünder), so you confirm it's Reibzünder ?
Is it also the same designation Reibzünder for "Reibzünder West" from ww2 ?

Last edited:
"Reibzündschraube" translates as "friction ignition screw". It's the most modern word. The oldest is "Frictionszündschraube" and later through a spelling reform (replacement of "C" through "K" in many cases) it became for a short time "Friktionszündschraube" and later "Reibzündschraube". Reibung simply means Friction.

The German language of the 1800's was much more influenced by french words like "friction" here than later. With some french words German sounded more "fine" and it was good behavior to use them. At least well educated people knew how to speak them correctly but for the German majority I think French people would not understand which "french" words they just hear :) In my city we have a "Chopinstraße" translatet as Chopin street. Spoken in my Saxonian dialect it sounds like "Shobangstraße" (english spoken) :tinysmile_hmm_t: Now it's much influenced by English words and the worst are "English sounding" words which most people are not aware that they are not used in English Language with the same meaning: Like everybody here is calling smartphones "Handys" (not even written as "Handies" :)) Or since Covid19 we say "I am working from the home office" instead work from home.

The "Reißzünder West" would be translated a "pull igniter west". We all know that both Reißzünder and the Reibzündschraube/Friktionszündschraube technically work the same but official nomenclature was different and many years were between both words. Interestingly we also had the various Zugzünder and "zug-" comes from "ziehen" which also means pull :) So not even the military officials did use consistent terms.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifiying. I always thought the small one was used for the 9 cm gun. Do you know for which type of gun it was used?

Good morning,
The small one was used with the 9cm gun, packaged in a box of 25.
The medium, packaged in a box of 10, was used with 15cm guns and howitzers, as well as 21cm mortars.
Belgium used them for calibers 12, 15 and 21cm.

Hello , dear Colleagues. I'll attach my photos. Frictionszundschraube s.M.W. ( Ladungs W.) , artillerie and m. M.W.
- I wish everyone good luck -

Attachments

• IMG_20230312_003401.jpg
    IMG_20230312_003401.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230312_003332.jpg
    IMG_20230312_003332.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Reiszundschraube.jpg
    Reiszundschraube.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16