What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. MK 1 hand grenade

Very nice indeed, are you going to tell us anything about it, please do.

Andy

Nice bit of kit, how does the lever work, i see the top half of a lever, does this bit fly off or does this release the bottom half.

BMG, the lever rotates and the cock striker is released. I believe they were only produced between 1917-1918ish. They were quickly replaced by the MKII after troops had issues with them in the field. Many times they failed to function properly and then were used against the U.S. troops.

Here is a closer picture of the mark I striker top for the fuse. The pin was pulled and then the lever was twisted right or left and that released the top to let the striker hit the fuse. A lot of US service personnel did not have much grenade training, and those that did were use to the French F-1, with spoon mechanism working like todays Mk-II. In the excitement they would pull the pin and throw the grenade. The Germans would twist the lever and throw it back. The MK-II was standardized in 1920. Vaughn

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 31