What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JULY 1917 No.101 fuze...

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_4632.jpgIMG_4631.jpgIMG_4630.jpgIMG_4629.jpgIMG_4628.jpg

Good morning,

This British 101 fuze is one of many I have but is the only one which has the date month actually written in whole rather than a numerical description (JULY 1917). Also the only piece I have with LOT 90, rather than just a lot No.
I've never encountered this on a British fuze before, and wondered whether this was common generally or whether it was down to contractors using their own method of dating pieces or perhaps a late war amendment, etc, ?
Also, would anyone happen to know what the stamp M.S means? Perhaps the manufacturer?
-----
GH

Many thanks in advance!
Cheers.

From time to time the word for the month was used on fuzes, cartridge case head stamps, hand grenade base plugs, and rifle grenade body plugs.

MS/GH is the manufacturer Marshall, Sons and Co., Gainsborough. An extract of their 1917 contracts is attached.

Also shown is a No.101 reworked to No.103. The fuze made by J L Mott, USA and reworked by Piston Rings, Birmingham, UK - the MARCH 1917 date seems to be from the US maker.

Attachments

• 20190924_104628.jpg
    20190924_104628.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Marshall contracts 1917.jpg
    Marshall contracts 1917.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Many thanks Snufkin,
Excellent info, and always nice to know a bit about its past, in particular the manufacturers details.
Thanks again.