What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.6cm Minenwerfer box...

starshell

Premium Member
Hello,

Thought I'd post a few pics of the replica MW crate/box I'm currently building. Its an exact replica of an original I have, and although I'm no carpenter, I'm pleased with the result so far. I'm a bit of stickler for accuracy so have placed each nail and screw in the exact same place as the original. The 'dovetails' are also a match, but (there's always a but..) I did fail to make sure the boards on the base were fitted the right way round.

One panel I'd spent 2 days cutting dovetails into was found to have a dovetail 2mm out, so it got binned for another (successful) attempt. That's the point where the wife questions the marriage/my sanity.....

(You'll see the centre 'overlap' of the boards is in reverse on my attempt).
Still I've really enjoyed making this, and whereas German carpenters were knocking these out at a rate of knots per hour, this one's taken me 2 weeks....
I've managed to acquire an original clasp for the lid. The handles were made by an excellent Blacksmith friend, who can replicate just about anything it seems. The handles are a copy of an original I took in to him to replicate (see pics of handles only; original on left). They need drilling, and the back plate needs cutting to size to match the original. He'll make the clasp catch for the lid. He really excels in this stuff.
IMG_4659.jpgIMG_4667.jpgIMG_4669.jpgIMG_4670.jpgIMG_4666.jpgIMG_4663.jpgIMG_4662.jpgIMG_4661.jpgIMG_4660.jpgIMG_4668.jpg
Apologies for the long winded thread, but hope you'll enjoy...
Cheers

Hello,

Thought I'd post a few pics of the replica MW crate/box I'm currently building. Its an exact replica of an original I have, and although I'm no carpenter, I'm pleased with the result so far. I'm a bit of stickler for accuracy so have placed each nail and screw in the exact same place as the original. The 'dovetails' are also a match, but (there's always a but..) I did fail to make sure the boards on the base were fitted the right way round.

One panel I'd spent 2 days cutting dovetails into was found to have a dovetail 2mm out, so it got binned for another (successful) attempt. That's the point where the wife questions the marriage/my sanity.....

(You'll see the centre 'overlap' of the boards is in reverse on my attempt).
Still I've really enjoyed making this, and whereas German carpenters were knocking these out at a rate of knots per hour, this one's taken me 2 weeks....
I've managed to acquire an original clasp for the lid. The handles were made by an excellent Blacksmith friend, who can replicate just about anything it seems. The handles are a copy of an original I took in to him to replicate (see pics of handles only; original on left). They need drilling, and the back plate needs cutting to size to match the original. He'll make the clasp catch for the lid. He really excels in this stuff.
View attachment 155692View attachment 155700View attachment 155699View attachment 155698View attachment 155697View attachment 155696View attachment 155695View attachment 155694View attachment 155693View attachment 155701
Apologies for the long winded thread, but hope you'll enjoy...
Cheers

Nice job Dylan except you forgot the woodworm holes!!
Richard

Nice job Dylan except you forgot the woodworm holes!!
Richard
Thanks Richard,
Still in the process of mapping them out.....
Then I've got to find some french/German 103 year old woodworm mites and train them up. All about authenticity...ahem...
Cheers!

Here are two images showing these boxes, one shows some markings.
The other indicates a tin liner which has a peel off top and wood spacers inside.

Attachments

• MW box.jpg
    MW box.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Capt.MW.jpg
    Capt.MW.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 26