Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

7.6cm Minenwerfer box...

Hello,

Thought I'd post a few pics of the replica MW crate/box I'm currently building. Its an exact replica of an original I have, and although I'm no carpenter, I'm pleased with the result so far. I'm a bit of stickler for accuracy so have placed each nail and screw in the exact same place as the original. The 'dovetails' are also a match, but (there's always a but..) I did fail to make sure the boards on the base were fitted the right way round.

One panel I'd spent 2 days cutting dovetails into was found to have a dovetail 2mm out, so it got binned for another (successful) attempt. That's the point where the wife questions the marriage/my sanity.....

(You'll see the centre 'overlap' of the boards is in reverse on my attempt).
    Still I've really enjoyed making this, and whereas German carpenters were knocking these out at a rate of knots per hour, this one's taken me 2 weeks....
    I've managed to acquire an original clasp for the lid. The handles were made by an excellent Blacksmith friend, who can replicate just about anything it seems. The handles are a copy of an original I took in to him to replicate (see pics of handles only; original on left). They need drilling, and the back plate needs cutting to size to match the original. He'll make the clasp catch for the lid. He really excels in this stuff.
    IMG_4659.jpgIMG_4667.jpgIMG_4669.jpgIMG_4670.jpgIMG_4666.jpgIMG_4663.jpgIMG_4662.jpgIMG_4661.jpgIMG_4660.jpgIMG_4668.jpg
    Apologies for the long winded thread, but hope you'll enjoy...
    Cheers

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to starshell For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (25th September 2019), Big Dave (25th September 2019), Burney Davis (25th September 2019), Depotman (25th September 2019), doppz92 (25th September 2019), Kerfent (25th September 2019), spotter (25th September 2019), tnor_fr (28th September 2019)

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starshell View Post
    Hello,

Thought I'd post a few pics of the replica MW crate/box I'm currently building. Its an exact replica of an original I have, and although I'm no carpenter, I'm pleased with the result so far. I'm a bit of stickler for accuracy so have placed each nail and screw in the exact same place as the original. The 'dovetails' are also a match, but (there's always a but..) I did fail to make sure the boards on the base were fitted the right way round.

One panel I'd spent 2 days cutting dovetails into was found to have a dovetail 2mm out, so it got binned for another (successful) attempt. That's the point where the wife questions the marriage/my sanity.....

(You'll see the centre 'overlap' of the boards is in reverse on my attempt).
    Still I've really enjoyed making this, and whereas German carpenters were knocking these out at a rate of knots per hour, this one's taken me 2 weeks....
    I've managed to acquire an original clasp for the lid. The handles were made by an excellent Blacksmith friend, who can replicate just about anything it seems. The handles are a copy of an original I took in to him to replicate (see pics of handles only; original on left). They need drilling, and the back plate needs cutting to size to match the original. He'll make the clasp catch for the lid. He really excels in this stuff.
    IMG_4659.jpgIMG_4667.jpgIMG_4669.jpgIMG_4670.jpgIMG_4666.jpgIMG_4663.jpgIMG_4662.jpgIMG_4661.jpgIMG_4660.jpgIMG_4668.jpg
    Apologies for the long winded thread, but hope you'll enjoy...
    Cheers
    Nice job Dylan except you forgot the woodworm holes!!
    Richard

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DICKAREN For This Useful Post:

Gspragge (25th September 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DICKAREN View Post
    Nice job Dylan except you forgot the woodworm holes!!
    Richard
    Thanks Richard,
    Still in the process of mapping them out.....
    Then I've got to find some french/German 103 year old woodworm mites and train them up. All about authenticity...ahem...
    Cheers!

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Well done Dylan, its looking good.
    Andy

Thanks
    Many thanks Andy!

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 487 Posts
    Here are two images showing these boxes, one shows some markings.
    The other indicates a tin liner which has a peel off top and wood spacers inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gspragge For This Useful Post:

pysall (25th September 2019), starshell (25th September 2019)