What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian ICI Explosives Board.

ron3350

I show a colourful ICI explosives display board made in Australia by Nobel Australasia Pty Ltd.
The 3 red band on the Gelignite displays have faded a bit.
Believed to be from local Ballarat hardware company called Eyres Brothers who sold explosives.

ICI Board a.jpgICI Board b.jpgICI Board c.jpg

My dad used to buy blasting powder for blowing 6 foot logs up when we used axes to cut firewood in the 1960's.
If you did an explosives course you could buy gelignite too to blow up stumps etc. on farms.

My dad used to buy blasting powder for blowing 6 foot logs up when we used axes to cut firewood in the 1960's.
If you did an explosives course you could buy gelignite too to blow up stumps etc. on farms.

Same here in the U.S. before 9/11. All one needed was a driver's license. I took a safety course which was populated with farmers and Game & Fish employees for the glee of blowing beaver dams. There were three guys attending for the purpose of removing an old bridge. Nobody thought much of it back in the day. The local rock quarry has finally given up on using explosives due to the inspections and hassle of having such things on site. Now using mechanical means to bust things up. I miss the startling excitement of the monthly blast associated with gravel making. Danged terrorists ruin everything!