What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brass Scovill Cap....??

MikeS0000

OK, I picked this up on ebay and it appears to be s fuze cover? But I've never run across anything like it and am hoping for some assistance! It is ~3" across, but don't have it in-hand yet.

Made an offer and wound up with it. Maybe they are a dime a dozen, but couldn't resist.

Thanks for looking!

- Mike

Attachments

• Scovill-2.jpg
    Scovill-2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Scovill-1.jpg
    Scovill-1.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 39
Nice fuze cover. They were normally affixed with solder and a tear off strip to keep moisture away from powder time fuzes. They should be common but aren't as throw away items that rarely got saved.

Here are a couple photos of similar covers on some 3"-23 Naval landing gun rounds I used to own.

3 Inch Landing Gun Ammo Fuze Cover 2.jpg3 Inch Landing Gun Ammo Fuze Cover 1.jpg

Mike, I saw that on Ebay. Glad you got it. As ordnance says, they cover powder train time fuzes. Yours is the cover for the M1907M Semple designed Scovill produced 21 second PTTF/Impact Fuze. The ones that Rick shows should be covering the MK XI-3 (anti aircraft no impact back up) or MK XI-4 (ground use with impact back up) which are copies of the M1907M fuze. Yours is the first cover I've ever seen with the markings on it. Great find! Cheers, Bruce.

Last edited:
Thanks Gents!

I kind of figured it was something like that. The Scovill etching was the clincher. I will have to look over the fuzes and put it on a correct one.

Were these fitted to the shell at the factory? Seems that make sense.

Best!
- Mike