What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ww1 2-inch nose plugs

Depotman

Premium Member
Can anyone confirm, or otherwise, whether the right-hand plug in the photos is a No.1 Mk I? Depotman
DSC_0349.jpgDSC_0352.jpg

The plug on the right is for the 2-in TM bomb. The No.1 MkI for artillery shells (13pr, 18pr, etc) has a square key hole like the MkII.

The plug on the right is for the 2-in TM bomb. The No.1 MkI for artillery shells (13pr, 18pr, etc) has a square key hole like the MkII.

Thanks Snufkin, My example is actually from my 4-inch TM projectile (with the copper gas check and elongated studs), as well as the No. 31 fuze. Have you any drawings or photos of the Mk I plug? Depotman

Here a 2 in plug N°1 Mk 1 in White Metal as described in doc (seem lead or zinc) more heavy than Mk2
N°1Mk1 1 (1).jpgN°1Mk1 2.jpgThe other plug is standard for lot of used, bomb, mortar bomb, never for shell

Thanks Snufkin, My example is actually from my 4-inch TM projectile (with the copper gas check and elongated studs), as well as the No. 31 fuze. Have you any drawings or photos of the Mk I plug? Depotman

Depotman, your May and Padmore August '16 plug is more likely from a 2-in TM bomb. The little 4-in mortar was withdrawn from France by the summer of 1916, when deliveries of the 4-in bombs were closed down. According to the Historical Records, "No ammunition of this nature remained in France after the first week of July, 1916."

I do not have a drawing of the No.1 MkI plug, but the description that matches the images supplied by Doctor is "...made of white metal. Top is convex, and projects over the screwed portion and forms a protecting flange for the fuze-hole of the shell, and it has a square key hole in the top."

Last edited:
Many thanks to you and the Doctor - great to have the additional info and pictures. Depotman