Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Thanks

18" Torpedo Motor and Drive Train

I seem to have acquired another torpedo...

This one is 18" in diameter and comprises of the motor, driveshaft and rear prop guards. It was lifted from the sea years ago and all the ferrous parts have corroded to dust, but the bronze castings are under the crud. There is a 3D model of it here:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/18in...24153aa49432e9

Judging by the presence, design and material of the prop guards this one is likely to be a very early example and possibly an air-dropped variant - the kind of thing used by Coastal Command or hung under a Swordfish. Equally, it could have been from a destroyer or MTB and we do have the wreck of an MTB in Weymouth Bay.

Any views or options as to the Mk, variant or version would be most welcome.

I'm very unlikely to get the time to clean this one up and leaving it sitting on the drive is not going to happen, so I may be tempted to part with it - if there are any takers?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Very nice find and a interesting project to clean up and restore.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonBrown View Post
    I seem to have acquired another torpedo...

This one is 18" in diameter and comprises of the motor, driveshaft and rear prop guards. It was lifted from the sea years ago and all the ferrous parts have corroded to dust, but the bronze castings are under the crud. There is a 3D model of it here:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/18in...24153aa49432e9

Judging by the presence, design and material of the prop guards this one is likely to be a very early example and possibly an air-dropped variant - the kind of thing used by Coastal Command or hung under a Swordfish. Equally, it could have been from a destroyer or MTB and we do have the wreck of an MTB in Weymouth Bay.

Any views or options as to the Mk, variant or version would be most welcome.

I'm very unlikely to get the time to clean this one up and leaving it sitting on the drive is not going to happen, so I may be tempted to part with it - if there are any takers?
    Have you offered it to 'EXPLOSION' at Priddys Hard? Depotman