What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian F1 Gren with UZRGM Fuses

Nismosonic

Hi,
I have 2 genuine Russian F1 Grenades with original UZRGM fuses, one is a different length and shape than the other, longer one is UZRGM other is UZRGM-2. It’s not been cut down as stampings are complete.
anyone know why there’s a difference??
TY

7D2BCDCD-D7D6-49EA-A5D3-20896346AF2E.jpg

Attachments

• 7D2BCDCD-D7D6-49EA-A5D3-20896346AF2E.jpg
    7D2BCDCD-D7D6-49EA-A5D3-20896346AF2E.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I have 2 genuine Russian F1 Grenades with original UZRGM fuses, one is a different length and shape than the other, longer one is UZRGM other is UZRGM-2. It’s not been cut down as stampings are complete.
anyone know why there’s a difference??
TY.
Your UZRGM-2 for grenade RGD-5, not for F-1. UZRGM for RGD-5 has the same lever - shorter.
Difference between UZRGM and UZRGM-2 - powder delay mixture.

I have wondered also, other than the shape of the lever, what are the differences between East German DF-62 fuzes and UZRGM used by other Eastern Bloc countries/why did the East Germans use a unique fuse on their F1s?

Went to look back at what I had left of Warsaw Pact grenades and fuzes obtained in Desert Storm. Oddly enough, my UZRGM is short spooned for the RGD-5 and the UZRGD-2 is configured for the F-1 and RG-42. My RGD-5 (Bulgarian?) has a DS-62. Mine seem to go opposite of what Nimosonic has shown. Thoughts?

15708962985983840645267103497132.jpg15708960919653329875370541942522.jpg15708964311556209641340067916063.jpg

interesting... crate below suggests East German RGD-5s used DF-62, but in any case yes yours is Bulgarian given concentric circle arsenal mark... the F1 with FGM fuze is Romanian (now wondering why they used a unique fuze for their F1s also??).

$_20.JPG

Last edited:
The FG-M isn't necessarily correct with the F-1 body, though both are Romanian, nor the DS-62 with the RGD-5. Usually what we found was a grenade box full of different types of grenades and fuzes together. Their troops general lack of training/understanding of weapons caused some funny combinations. I once found a belt of 7.62x54mm ammo with light ball, heavy ball, tracer, API, and a couple of Drill rounds on it. The grenades and fuzes may not be matching, but that's pretty much how we found them.

Last edited:
My fuse doesn’t have the circle cut out at top of lever like many others.
can anyone ID the nationality of bomb body?
7B5ADF41-2283-4303-A7A4-CBAF62D6077D.jpg

95A2E036-216F-483C-A088-537F10AF263E.jpg

6A60FC33-AEF5-4D71-A79A-00DF35940CB4.jpg

thank you.

Went to look back at what I had left of Warsaw Pact grenades and fuzes obtained in Desert Storm. Oddly enough, my UZRGM is short spooned for the RGD-5 and the UZRGD-2 is configured for the F-1 and RG-42. My RGD-5 (Bulgarian?) has a DS-62. Mine seem to go opposite of what Nimosonic has shown. Thoughts?

View attachment 155980View attachment 155981View attachment 155982

On the export stuff found in Theater anything was possible. I pulled out 82mm mortars from 15 different manufacturers in one ammo pit. The grenades (packed with fuzes in separate cans) could have been mass assembled on site and the cans mixed. Another possibility is, did you empty them and bring home, or was it done by others? UZRGMs getting mixed up from grenade to grenade isn't something most techs paid much attention to.

On the export stuff found in Theater anything was possible. I pulled out 82mm mortars from 15 different manufacturers in one ammo pit. The grenades (packed with fuzes in separate cans) could have been mass assembled on site and the cans mixed. Another possibility is, did you empty them and bring home, or was it done by others? UZRGMs getting mixed up from grenade to grenade isn't something most techs paid much attention to.

Jeff, if I remember right, we found them in Kuwait then inerted them while we were sitting in Khanjar waiting for the push. Like you, we found a lot of things mixed up. Right after Kahafji we were the first EOD in and found boxes marked "Farm Implements" full of mortar rounds. The fuzed 60mm WP had a tendency to start giving off whiffs of smoke off when we unscrewed the fuzes. Also found my first RGO-78 sitting under a T54/55 there.

I have wondered also, other than the shape of the lever, what are the differences between East German DF-62 fuzes and UZRGM used by other Eastern Bloc countries/why did the East Germans use a unique fuse on their F1s?

Realised I didn't get an answer to this... anyone know? Also, what was behind the various paint finishes on different nations F1s? I have endeavoured to collect many varieties of F1, but I like the yellow-green DDR ones best... Want a brown Russian one but not seen one for sale.