What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guy Martin WWI tank (2017)

good film but such a shame that the namby pamby council wouldn't let them drive it through the town at 5 miles per hour!

Having been involved with this project, I made all the drivers controls and the gun mounts, I would not have tried to drive it through crowds as it was just not controllable enough.

They had some first class fabrication shops building the components. I just keep thinking about the cost and who paid for it. The computer design work alone would have been very expensive. If nothing was donated, then I can see this being a 500,000 GBP project.

Yes, an amazing project. I did not even think about the required tracked vehicle driving test. I's sooo crash it driving on a "wrong" side.

JCB funded the bulk of it as they made most of it. I got paid by the production company for all the bits I made. Stephen did the automotive side and got to keep the end product. The main problem was using too small an engine, it just does not have the torque required.

I had to look up JCB as I have never heard of them. They appear to be the Caterpillar of the UK, but I have never seen their equipment in the US.

Joseph Cyril Bamford (JCB) started designing construction equipment in 1945. There was a need for a lot of this after WWII. Since then he has branched out into all sorts of other equipments. There was a time when virtually all construction equipment was JCB until all the cheaper Komatsu, Liebherr, Hitachi, Volvo, Doosan, John Deere etc began to appear.