What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb ID

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
An interesting request from another forum.
Diameter 37cm
Length : 120cm
Found in Germany
Could it be something like a 250kg PC RS ??

120X37.jpgIMG_20191009_092842.jpgIMG_20191009_093217.jpgIMG_20191009_094020.jpgIMG_20191009_094047.jpg

It was found on our main testing ground for 2nd WW bombs so I woudn't wonder if it is something experimental which would explain that nobody knows anything about it...

I don't think it's a bomb. I remember having seen something like that - If I am not mistaken it's the warhead of a heavy ground to ground rocket. But I may be wrong.

I don't think it's a bomb. I remember having seen something like that - If I am not mistaken it's the warhead of a heavy ground to ground rocket. But I may be wrong.

Something like this SC50 from the book of Wolfgang Fleischer "German air-dropped weapons to 1945"
It have a similar collar on the rear part of the body.

Yoda

Attachments

• UNK german sc50.jpg
    UNK german sc50.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 88
Just out of curiosity, could it have been a projectile modified into a bomb or rocket? The collar looks like a rotating band (FES?) and I can see what looks like a weld line right below the "collar". Just a thought.

It would make sense that that it would be a rocket warhead. The ring provides an excellent surface for the motor to push against, and the groove with the angled side to the rear would allow screws from the sides of the motor to hold it in place and tighten the motor onto the warhead. It also has a hole for a fuze at the base.

Hmmm,my good pal Mick text me tonight to have a look.Aint seen anything like that ever. What say you Ben?

It's a warhead of the SC 500 RS I rocket (2nd from right in the drawing), made of a SC 250 bomb body. Intended for air-to-ground and air-to-air roles, in development by RhB, WASAG and E-Stelle Rechlin from 1942. It was 258 cm long, 570 kg heavy and the range was 3000 m.
And here's the lacking part: http://www.raketenflugplatz-berlin.de/laerz.htm ;)

Attachments

• Raketen_2D_2012_Heavy_13_color_800PS.jpg
    Raketen_2D_2012_Heavy_13_color_800PS.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
The pink guy is a little bit mangled PC 1000 RS - although the two openings on the warhead are a little bit intriguing; they may not be original though, or maybe it is a blind variant (which is mentioned by the OP 1666).
I have forgotten
This is an inaccurate Allied reconstruction of the PC 1000 RS. They captured a bomb with its light alloy tail broken to pieces an reconstructed it wrongly - as too long, with just four fins and mounted backwards. They were also fooled by the warhead size and identified the bomb as the 500 kg class.

SC 500 RS I, as opposed to other similar rocket bombs, had distinctively long mid section (which was generally empty, but could accomodate additional HE at the expense of the range), while the engine had 12 venturis.

Attachments

• SC500RS_T2_v2_p4_PSH.jpg
    SC500RS_T2_v2_p4_PSH.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Bompki_2D_1_2aPS.jpg
    Bompki_2D_1_2aPS.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 36
  • SC500RS_T2_v1_p3_600PS.jpg
    SC500RS_T2_v1_p3_600PS.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: