What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectiles of the soviet navy

sgdbdr

Good evening !

I've got this book "СНАРЯДЫ АРТИЛЛЕРИИ ВОЕННО-МОРСКОГО ФЛОТА" (available for download here : https://dfiles.eu/files/r4zf1n5qb )

Image27.jpg

Can't figure out the right designation of the projectiles :

Image28.jpg

Could a russian member or anyone explain ?

Cheers,

S.

Good evening !

I've got this book "СНАРЯДЫ АРТИЛЛЕРИИ ВОЕННО-МОРСКОГО ФЛОТА" (available for download here : https://dfiles.eu/files/r4zf1n5qb )

Can't figure out the right designation of the projectiles :

Could a russian member or anyone explain ?

Cheers,

S.
I am not russian, but know this language too.
It can be translated as semi-armor-piercing shell. Old type of shell, as you see on the page - model 1911 year.
Russian engineers wanter to get and armor-piercing and HE shell in one shell. This shell is something between them. Explosive charge sless as in HE shell, but can penetrate thicker armor as HE shell. Pretty goog HE charger makes good impact insede of ship.

I am not russian, but know this language too.
It can be translated as semi-armor-piercing shell. Old type of shell, as you see on the page - model 1911 year.
Russian engineers wanter to get and armor-piercing and HE shell in one shell. This shell is something between them. Explosive charge sless as in HE shell, but can penetrate thicker armor as HE shell. Pretty goog HE charger makes good impact insede of ship.

I understand that.

My problem is with "Сокращенный индекс" that I understand as designation or nomenclature and "Номер чертежа" that seems to be a drawing number. How two projectiles (center and right ones) can have the same designation "ПБ-17" (PB-17) with a different drawing number and so different characteristics (length, cavity size, shape of the ogive, thickness, base plug) ?

I understand that.
My problem is with "Сокращенный индекс" that I understand as designation or nomenclature and "Номер чертежа" that seems to be a drawing number. How two projectiles (center and right ones) can have the same designation "ПБ-17" (PB-17) with a different drawing number and so different characteristics (length, cavity size, shape of the ogive, thickness, base plug) ?
You did not write what exactly what exactly you want to explain you and first of all I explained type of shell.
Номер чертежа - number of blueprint, it is correctly.
Why the same index for three shells, one of which looks complitely different? - It is a very good quaestion, but I can`t explaine it. Navy shells and also nomenclature of munition one of the unknown! Probably Navy commander decided, that thell for old cannon and no reasons for changing index of it. just changed blueprint.
For example, during WW2 a lot of plants and factories were producing fuze MUV; MUV has few blueprints (we know only few, it is correctly to tell), but all of them are MUV! The same could be and with this shell.