What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

51mm Mortar HE XL 12E1.

ron3350

I can find no information on this British 51mm Mortar HE XL 12E1.
Marked INERT GD 4/84. Fuzed L127A2.

Dummy? primer marked: TV 256 81.
Fuze threads are 1.5"x12 UNF.

Should the fuze be cleaned to shiny aluminium or left gray painted?
There was a mention by Darren of this fuze in an old post from 10-5-11.

51mm Base .jpgFuze L 127 A2.jpeg51mm Tail.jpeg51mm Mortar b.jpeg51mm Mortar a.jpeg

Yes, the fuze easily screws out but I could not undo the booster. It was too tight.
I am assuming it is all inert as stencilled on the body. Fuze and what is under the disc on top of the filler.
The fuze is a German design it seems. I am not removing the gray paint to make it shiny aluminium unless confirmed as wrong.
I thank MINENAZ16 for the diagram of an L1 series. I had no information so assume it is experimental. Ron.

What are the markings on the rest of the fuze, is it marked rep. On 40mm bofors fuzes sometimes they are grey painted, the rest of the mortar is correctly marked. is the round body empty or filled with an inert wax.
It could be a inert representative of a 51mm to show what a live one looks like rather than handle a live one. looks well used. to be safe i would check the booster if you can get it off, my be its an opposite thread.

Last edited: