What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No.94 fuze colour?

wingsofwrath

Hello. First post, but I have a question about the No.94 fuze.

I have a shell collection, but I decided early on I didn't want to deal with real shells (heavy, expensive in good shape, some ground finds dangerous and/or in rough shape) so I make my own replicas using 3d printing to use with real casings and fuzes where I can get them.

MF8rz30.jpg

In this case, I wanted to complete an 18pdr display (casing, primer protection and No.80 fuze transport cover are original) so I got a resin shell with fuze from a website, for a fraction of the cost a real one would have been. To my utter surprise, the fuze that came with it was not a No.80, but a No.94 (and one that was made as a No.94 not a modified No.83, to boot).

MJRyuxW.jpg

I know the 18-pdr never used the No.94, so I'll be making a 60-pdr shell for it and getting an actual No.80 for the 18-pdr, but the thorny issue here is painting - I know the No.94 fuze has a brass body and copper alloy rings and cap similar to the No.83 from which it derived, but the diagram also specifies that the two time disks are "lacquered blue". Well, I've never seen a British WW1 shell with blue markings before, so what kind of blue are we talking about here? Light blue like these practice projectiles, mid blue like this German "Blaukreuz" gas shell or dark blue like this 4.5 in projectile?

I asked on other forums and nobody knew, so I ended up going for the light blue in the end, but I could redo it if it turns out I'm incorrect.

oQLEmIX.jpg

Also, while we're at it (and I don't want to make a new post over on the "projectiles" topic), the manual also states that only Mark I 18pdr shrapnel shells were painted black, all the rest being painted "lead colour". Again, what does that mean exactly in terms of shade? I have seen examples with original paint and they look pretty black to me, even though they were definitely Mark III-VIs.

Thank you!

Here's a picture of a No. 94 fuze, with the blue rings (it's in my book!). Hope this helps. Depotman.

94 MkV.jpg

Yes, thank you!
That's exactly what I was hoping to find out on this thread.
I see I got the shade wrong, but now, with your picture, I can definitely repaint it with the right colour.