What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills maker C&H

Millsman

Premium Member
Dave has a BBC marked No 36 M Mk I with BBC as the maker and C&H as the possible caster on his website. Another C&H has turned up.

At the weekend I was offered this unfinished body by a man who said 'found on clearing grandad's shed'. It was golden brown with surface rust but has cleaned well.

The base plug threads are perfect, but the filler hole and the pin holes have not been drilled. There are no cast numbers on the lever space.

The body is marked C&H SMG. Creasey & Hinton of Dunstable as a possible maker??

DSCN3153.jpgDSCN3152.jpgDSCN3151.jpg

That's a new one for me Tom. Small single contract as a maker after being a body maker for others?

Contracted to make bodies - didn't make complete grenades.

A couple more...

Attachments

• DSC05409_1.jpg
    DSC05409_1.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03211.jpg
    DSC03211.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
so if C&H is Chamberlin and Hill, Walsall and SMC is Singer, why is the mills stamped with two companies?

I have a drill no36 mills stamped C&H followed by AM&Co. Two companies again?

so if C&H is Chamberlin and Hill, Walsall and SMC is Singer, why is the mills stamped with two companies?

I have a drill no36 mills stamped C&H followed by AM&Co. Two companies again?

C&H is the sub-contract foundry, SMC is the prime. Ditto C&H making bodies for Marston & Co.