What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Studded Shell ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Below is a picture of three projectiles of the same design but different diameters. The larger projectile on the left is the more common one, diameter 3 1/4". The one to its left is 2 3/8" in diameter and the smaller one is 2 1/8" in diameter. Can anyone supply pictures or information about the two smaller projectiles?

The smallest has an unusual single stud in two places on the top row, what looks like a poorly struck 'M' on the body and a 'B' on the fuze. I'm not familiar with this type of fuze, which looks like an early concussion model. At first I thought it had been converted to a lighter but after close examination I think it is correct. Comments welcomed.

Many thanks

20191102_120615_resized (2).jpg20191102_120645_resized (2).jpg20191102_120807_resized (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The smallest one is a Dutch Navy shell. It is for a 5 cm muzzle loaded rifled canon, actual caliber 54 - 54,5 mm. The fuze is a percussion fuze. The central channel of the fuze body was filled with black powder. On top of the small tube sticking out a percussion cap was placed. It was fired with the brass cap in place.

Last edited:
Many thanks Greif. So this would date from the 1860's perhaps? Do you know if this is a Dutch design or adopted by the Dutch from France or another country?

Information on this canon is poor. Both gun and shell are mentioned in 1879 and 1881 listings. I was wrong about the caliber, that was 55 mm. The diameter of the shell was between 54 and 54,5 mm. The listing doesn’t mention a foreign manufacturer for this canon. It was a bronze canon so there is a great change it was made by the “Rijkswerf Amsterdam” (state arsenal) as many of the Dutch bronze canons were manufactured there.