What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SC-500 crater diameter

SC1800

Dear colleagues,

Has anyone got information about SC-500 crater diameter if ElAz 25 Vz (17 sec delay) action was used? It is a commonly known fact, that o.V. action made a ~6 m diameter, and m.V. action made a ~12 m diameter. But a have not information about Vz action crater diameter.

Hallo @SC1800,
I can't answer your question directly. But, you should be able to calculate the diameter with the help of formulas used in blasting practice. By the way El.AZ.(25), like most other german electric fuzes has a Vz of 14 Sec. The only ones I know with another Vz are the AZ(38) and AZ(38)C, with 5 sec. delay. The SC-500 contains about 250kg of explosive. So you use 250kg TNT with maximum tamping for you calculation.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Wolgang Fleischer "Development of German air-doped weapons to 1945"

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 88
IMHO most probably there's no difference or very little difference between the crater created by m.V. and Vz bomb. When hitting the ground, m.V.-fuzed bomb after 0.08 s already stopped or slowed to near zero velocity. So Vz-fuzed bomb do not penetrate deeper into the ground, or very little more deep than m.V.-fuzed one. So I think the crater parameters in both cases would be the same or very similar.