What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills adaption!

king ratgre

View attachment 156253View attachment 156255View attachment 156254

Hi all,

I picked this up at Newark last year, having seen only one approximately 10 years before at malvern (may have been the same one) - anyway, does anyone know what this type of modification is called and any other info about this type of no36??? , The seller was quite vague, & thought it had an irish connection but knew little else about it...I have searched on Dr Google but without a starting point , hasn't turned up anything. I'm pretty sure several of you will recognize & know what it is. Any info will be gratefully received...thanks

brilliant,,thats the exact type...thanks for reply,I couldnt find any info on this grenade prior to joining forum...much appreciated & thank you again

It is the very same grenade as the one shown below. It was owned by a chap called Paul Heddell, but he parted with his collection for various reasons.

(Image courtesy of Paul Heddell.)

Attachments

• DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
thanks for info... how many of these were made ? as document you re posted has date of april 1918 & grenade dates from october 1918.quite a long period for a product that is "not necessary or desirable"...again thank you for your knowledge

I don't know how many of these grenades were made or modified. The document indicates that several versions of the collar had been created as of April 1918, and the one described (ridged on the underside to mate with ridges machined into the lever) is not the one now in your possession. It would appear the collars on the October 1918 grenades are of a later variant, perhaps the last fling of the designer, unable to let go of his dream of solving perceived safety flaws of the No.36, and continuing to hand craft pieces of brass in a shed somewhere.

from memory the Grenade is of Irish makers origin I cannot remember exactly now as it was quite a few years back I was offered it .....Dave