What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few Xrays

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I was doing some Xray training for civilian bomb squads recently, portable Xray technology is rapidly progressing in penetrating capability, resolution and clarity. Thought I'd share a few pics, waiting on more to come in.
MBA pin flare.jpgReynolds.test.3-16-Oct-2019.jpgSalvo multi-ball.jpgSPIW cartridge.jpg

Jeff, is that SALVO triplex a .30-06? I have the duplex of it if so.

I'd have to look in HWS to see how it is listed. Without going back to look (I've got several different) I think it was based off an 06, but if you look closely at the image the neck is greatly extended and comes up much higher. Not sure what the designation was at that point.
I've got a number of unusual small arms carts that I may try to get images of in the next couple of months. Once the weather is crappy and the teams are trapped inside a little more I may take advantage of their kind nature to get them to make me some pics -

5-16-Oct-2019.jpg

Not for a couple of days. I've got the images on file at work, but the actual grenades are home on the shelf. Work starts at 0300, and by the time I get home it is nearly time for bed, so it has to wait for the weekend.

I'll help. From left to right..... 40mm M433 HEDP, M781 practice, M406 HE, and M407A1 practice. All are 40mmX46mm low velocity types.

That was my closest guest, but some details make me doubt :

Shouldn't we see the copper cone on the M433 ?
M781 is mostly plastic, except for the driving band.
On the M406, the ball has no flat part at the bottom (one some drawings, a plug is mentionned at this position, so it could be missing)
I could agree on the last one, but all the drawings represent a ball smaller in diameter.

Cheers,

S.

Yes, there should be a copper cone in a complete M433, but a lot of different examples can be found in the U.S. Some are inert loaded with an inert fuze crimped on for classroom training. No need to add all the internal details such as the cone. I also have seen fuze test rounds marked as having inert bodies with live fuze and propellant. Again, no need for costly internals. I think it's one of those types.

The M781 looks about right but without the internal sliding weight that helps break the ogive and disperse the dye.

The M406 does look flat on the bottom but might be missing the closure plate, as you suggest, or might just be a very flat version of it. I have examples that are almost spherical and others that are quite flattened on the bottom.

The M407A1 looks exactly as it should in terms of shape and size of the bakelite ball.

They stopped using the steel hex weight in the practice blue plastic round and just use the zinc base as shown in the x-ray now.

Thanks Bruce. I was thinking about that as I wrote my reply. I think some early ones also had some sort of thin flat spring in the nose but really haven't paid much attention to that model. Might have to spend more time studying the differences as there were several over many years without any changes in the model designation.