What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type Vaucanson

Alpini

Premium Member
Hello,

I have a question (most probably for the french members):

The french mechanical time fuzes are called "Type vaucanson" but they are clearly of Krupp/Thiel system. Where does the name Vaucanson came from? I guess the famous french inventor has nothing to do with the fuzes as was died a long time before the fuzes came.

Was there a french watch factory called Vaucanson? Today I only find a US watch company named after the famous inventor Vaucanson.

Thanks, Alpini

Hello,
Yes Krupp/Thiel system is called "type Vaucanson" in France because of one french fuze (Mechanical T&P fuze 24-65 à mouvement d'horlogerie type Vaucanson)
The mechanical time device was made in France by "Etablissements Vaucanson".
Note that it's look like a copy of German ww1 Doopz16.
Regards

VAUCANSON.jpg

vaucanson cut.jpg

large.jpg

1.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, The "Etablissements Vaucanson" are a good track. I will try to find out more about this company.

Ok, I found out that the >Société de Construction d’Appareils de Précision "Vaucanson"< was really named after the famous inventor "Jacques de Vaucanson". The company was founded in 1914. But nothing about fuze production (or maybe just fuze clockworks). It would be interesting if they had a license from Thiel. St.Nicolas was the magic word.

Last edited: