What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40x240mm MK 5 is this the only projectile used

earni74

Premium Member
021.jpg020.jpg019.jpg014.jpg013.jpgI have searched on this site and looked through all my books and paperwork and found very little on the 40mm MK 5 round
My question is:- is this the only type of projectile used for the MK 5 ?
All comments welcome

Nice case, i spent about ten years looking for one of those as i had a projectile that needed a home. they seem very hard to find. The projectile you show does not look British, the twin bands look French to me. Attached is a picture of the projectile and fuze i had.
Best Weasel.

20141002_194719_HDR.jpg

That's a very nice projectile, thanks for showing it, the projectile in my case is the one I have seen on here I think, that's why I asked the question, mine is a British made projectile that as you say looks typically French due to the banding, they used this type of projectile in the 37mm COW gun round

I don't have that projectile you have, I'm still wondering if they used other types

Thanks

Hi Earni,
Of course, thats where i have seen that projectile type before, As far as i am aware the No 131 fuzed HE was the only projectile type used, there was only a very limited amount of ammuniton made up and a few guns to trial it, that at least is my understanding. If anyone else can add any info that would be much appriciated.
Best regards Weasel.

Last edited:
Hi Weasel, I have the COW gun round with the 131 fuze, and I am assuming your projectile will also belong to the MK 5, more comments on this round will be most welcome
Mick

Hi Earni,
As far as i am aware the No 131 fuzed HE was the only projectile type used, there was only a very limited amount of ammuniton made up and a few guns to trial it, that at least is my understanding. If anyone else can add any info that would be much appriciated.
Best regards Weasel.

In the TNA is a document dated July 1918, listing cannon for the RAF in service or on order. For the 2 pdr SA Vickers Mk V, it just lists 2 guns on order with RAF trials expected. That's the only official reference to the gun or ammo that I'm aware of.

Weasel, apart from the fuze, is your projectile the same as the normal 2-Pdr nose-fuzed shell, or is it longer?

Ernie74, your projectile looks too narrow for the case. Is that because the case mouth has been stretched, or because the shell is less than 40mm in diameter? Are there any stampings on your shell, and if so, what are they.

I see that Ernie's case appears to have been loaded with black-powder, rather than cordite. Can anyone say why? Be interesting to see any other headstamps on Mk.V cases.

Roger.

Hi Roger,
I think from memory the body was longer than a standard 2pr nose fuzed HE, i no longer have any of my 2pr rounds so am not abe to help you with measurements.
Best Weasel

Roger, the case neck does need some work, as to stampings on the projectile, they are so feint all I can make out is /L above 10/18 there other various marks that are unreadable I'm afraid

Tony, thanks for your input, I read somewhere that it was a single shot gun on an Aircraft !

Mick, As far as I'm aware the only projectile used in the Mk V was the flat base HE with 131 fuze (as in weasels picture). Hogg mentions that in his 1914 -18 book. Are you sure the projectile shown is 40mm?

My article on 37-40mm guns in British service is at http://quarryhs.co.uk/37-40mm.htm

The only example I've ever seen is on the far right of the pic from this article:

37-40mmWW1.jpg