What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help please

tomsk

Premium Member
Does anyone know how to release this inert 3kg practice bomb from the claws.
Many Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• 3kg inert.jpg
    3kg inert.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 116
I know its inert because i've had it for 20 years and there is no No1Mk1 cartridge in it

Attachments

• crt smk flash No1Mk1.jpg
    crt smk flash No1Mk1.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 33
From my limited understanding, "solenoids" were typically used by the on-board weapons computer to release the bomb(s).

(same principle to release a door latch remotely)

Looks to be some type of solenoid on the top of the claw??? If so, check to see if there are any wires /terminals and apply some DC voltage (battery) - you may have to investigate what voltage range was used.

This may help:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/io/io_6.html

Cheers
D

Why not remove one of the two hinge bolts on one of the claws? You will need to deal with the spring, be careful. There will be pressure on the bolts.

If you have a couple of C-clamps that can span from the outside of one jaw to the other, put a clamp across above the bolts, and one below the bolts. The clamps should take the pressure off of the bolts, so that one will slide out easily without having to hammer on it. Then gradually loosen the clamps. Watch out for that spring!

Last edited:
In responce to DRONIC69 sugestion This type of release unit uses either a pyrotechnic cartridge or a cold gas cartridge as per COBHAMs website and HAZORDs sugestion to remove the 2 bolts was my next port of call thanks to you guys for your responces. I am aware there will be spring tension on the bolts so Thanks again guys.
Tom

Apparently its the precise diameter of the bomb and 2 machined plates on the inside face of the claw that holds it in place job done.
Thanks again guys
Tom

Okey Dokey

Attachments

• 100_4659.jpg
    100_4659.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_4660.jpg
    100_4660.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_4671.jpg
    100_4671.jpg