What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seized fuze in socket

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_4790.jpgIMG_4789.jpgIMG_4788.jpg

Hello,

Would anyone have any ideas as to how to remove a seized, (fired and inert) fuze from this 60 Pdr shrapnel shell head?

The fuze is absolutely knackered and has no powder train rings or cap, both badly impact damaged and now removed, but the remainder is still screwed into the shell head.
The idea is to fit a nice clean fuze into the head, so I don't want to damage the shell head threads.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Many thanks!

Soak in penetrating oil, as its inert apply heat, soak apply heat a couple of times try to undo and soak and heat again. The first picture show a protruding pin or grub screw to the left, until you remove that you will budge nothing.

Thanks BMG50,
Yeah, that little raised bit on the side, if as you say its a grub screw, the chances of that coming out look to be zero; its been hammered into oblivion, no slot visible. Only option there is to drill it out possibly.
I'm thinking this fuze will have to be removed from the inside out. Like that's going to be easy.....
Thanks again.

if you access to a lathe you can machine away the fuze until nothing is left except the bits in the thread which can be picked out
this would take quite awhile
another method is to cut the fuze off as close to the head as possible then drill a series of holes in the fuze until you have a cavity then you can collapse whats left of the fuze away from the steel head with a chisel

I have done one like Kiwieod suggested and cut it close to the head and then drill it out, its time consuming but it works.
cheers
Andy

Last edited:
I know in many cases this is going to fall on deaf ears, but I'll throw it out anyway.

Applying heat or power tools to any piece of sealed ordnance is a bad idea. The possibility of error somewhere down the chain of possession is always present, and the penalty for error is just too high. If you cannot get it open manually, dispose of it. I cannot count the number of times I have seen post accident investigations on "inert" rounds held by collectors, EOD teams and Bomb Squads. Miscommunication, loss of historical data, simple mistakes all contribute and are impossible to predict or prevent. This is a rule of thumb that has served me well over the years, and has not noticeably affected my collecting ability. I urge you to take it into consideration.

Thanks US-Subs,

A very valid point, and one I totally agree with.
My philosophy has and always will be if I'm not sure and have my doubts, it doesn't come home with me. Its common sense.
Besides, I value my family, life and freedom too much to cut corners.
Many thanks.

Edit: Maybe what I should have mentioned in the original post was 'seized partial fuze' as the internals are missing, so not a sealed piece of ordnance as such, more seized.

Last edited:
Many thanks to BMG50, kiwieod and andysarmoury for the suggestions.

Fuze remains now successfully removed with no damage to shell head threads, having followed kiwieod's suggestion.
Thanks again.