What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding German WW1 AP / AT rounds used in artillery / armour

pzgr40/42

Hello,

As per title, I am curious as to which projectiles were actively employed by German artillery / armour in an AP / AT capacity.
I know of the 5,7 cm K. Gr. m P. and the 7,7 cm K. Gr. 15 m P. (und L).
I also am familiar with the fact that similar rounds existed is 8,8 and 10,5 cm, but were these employed in an AP / AT capacity?
The 8,8 cm, to the extend of my knowledge, was mainly a naval round (would be glad to find myself corrected!).

In another forum I saw the 5,3 cm Gruson mentioned as also employing an AP type (Panzerkopf?) round.

Does anyone have further info / drawings etc?

In advance, thanks very much!

In regards to the 5,3cm , it is the same fuze used on the 5,7cm Granate mit Panzerkopf. The (Innen.) A.Z. f. 5,3cm u. 5,7cm Gr. m.P. Usually made in a zinc alloy (I’ve only seen them in zinc). The Zündladung used with these fuzes is the same as the 5,7cm Spgr. , with 5,7cm K.Z. m.V.

About the 8,8 & 10,5cm’s , these use the Grzdr. m.V. (Fuze , same thread as the 5,2cm Kpf. Z.) & the Panzerkopfs for these are hardened steel , near massive. & were definitely used against fortified or reinforced targets/naval targets.