What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US WWI headstamp

94thFS95

Premium Member
Hello,
Does anyone know who the manufacturer WPS co. Is on a 1917 dated US naval 1 pounder (37mm) case?
Is there a makers reference list somewhere for US WWI/WWII cases and projectiles?
-Steve

Have not seen any list covering manufacturers, Have kept data as found from various sources over 25 years, especially 37MM makers as that is my main interest,total examples, about 200 from 14 countries.

No proof, but my examples have PEMCo projectiles. In WW1, there were lots of small producers taking advantage of the war and producing contracts for stuff they did not ordianarly produce. Since projectiles are a bit harder to make, my guess WPS used other made projectiles.

These are two of my W.P.S. Co. MKI's. Both have rounds made by SMC. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the black painted round came original to it's casing and the lot numbers bear that out. I don't know who SMC was (possibly Scovill Manufacturing Company) and I'm sure one of our fine members does, but they appear on WWII rounds as well. In fact, they are on the 37mm M16 casings I posted today. Cheers, Bruce.

15737058134088411337748520329370.jpg15737057072018829995508640110040.jpg

Last edited:
I think that US WW2 SMC headstamp is Symington Machine Corp from Rochester N.Y. I have never seen a Worcester Pressed Steel headstamp here in France.