What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W. 50 wooden ammunition box

High Wood

Can anyone please tell me what the W.50 wooden ammunition box contained? My example has the additional markings II N and came from the Royal Ordnance Factory, Bridgend.

All I can tell you is it is Naval. The Large stamped N, The positioning of the box type on the side of the box, and the distinctive colour

ROF Bridgend was one of our largest filling factories. The workforce has been quoted as 40,000 but I think this figure includes Brackla and Waterton that were satellites, Brackla effectively bordered with Bridgend. Bridgend filled stores for all three services, however those listed below are joint or Navy specific.

Cordite Bags & Pellets
RD202 Fuze Powder
Detonators e.g. The 5 grain A.S.A detonator used in most artillery fuzes
Tubes, percussion & electric
Primers
40mm Bofors
2 Pr
Initiators
No. 243 Fuze (Navy 2 Pr)
Fuze filling (igniferous)
Life Saving Rockets

(In relation to the 40mm and 2 Pr it is not specified if they just filled the projectiles and/or the whole round).

Some of the items are far too large to fit your box, but it may well have contained their component parts.

TimG

Thank you for the updates gentlemen. Interesting about the N for Naval stamp as my other wooden box M184 also has an N stamp.

Sorry I am late responding to this. The full nomenclature of this box is:
Box, Igniters, Torpedo, W 50 Mark II /N/