Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

M19 WP rifle grenade box / container

Does anyone have pics of this, possibly with markings and such?

WWII and after.

That would help.

Cheers

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I'm afraid you'll be lucky to get a picture of the M19 . I've been collecting & selling grenades for 30 years & I've never seen one . It's possible one of our American friends may have an example but don't hold your breath !

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Are you looking for images of the grenades, storage tube, or just the crate they were packed in? Here are a couple photos of the M19 and M19A1 grenades and the tube for the M19A1. I don't have a crate but might have a photo if I can find it.
    P10503751.JPGP10503771.JPGP10503831.JPG

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ordnance For This Useful Post:

Nabob (15th November 2019), siegfreid (15th November 2019), Steel (16th November 2019), wichitaslumlord (15th November 2019)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 518 Posts
    Here's a crate for the M23A1. A first cousin to the M19.

7" X 13" X 18.5"

crate m23 4.jpg crate m23 2.jpg Crate m23 1.jpg crate m23 3.jpg
    Last edited by Slick; 15th November 2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

Steel (16th November 2019), Taber10 (16th November 2019)

Thanks
    Guys, thank you all very much.

The M23 was a signaling grenade with no combat filling AFAIK.

Some more things to meditate on: OAP - anybody have lot info on that?
    Anyone have info on where to find M19 WP boxes with lot numbers? I'm still researching the history of this item and am wondering when they were made and by which contractors / AAPs. If the metal parts of the grenade itself were in fact made at an AAP.

Have a great evening everybody.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 518 Posts
    I have two JUNE 1966/ TM 9-1330-200 GRENADES, HAND and RIFLE manuals. PM if you need a copy.

As for the M23, yes, streaming smoke. Can't help with any of your other questions.

My M23 crate was secondarily used as a truck toolbox, then painted white and repurposed as a line control model airplane field box. It has been in the family since the late '50s/early '60s. I stripped the white paint off a few years ago and placed it in the collection. I have since sat and filled in the embossed lettering with magic marker. A tedious chore, to say the least. Finished the front today.

crate m23 5.jpg
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

917601 (17th November 2019), Steel (18th November 2019)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    OAP should stand for Ordnance Assembly Plant at the Army Chemical Center in Maryland, which, I believe, is the more current name for the Edgewood Arsenal.

Generally, I think it is safe to assume the metal parts for ordnance items like the M19 grenade were made by civilian subcontractors and shipped to Government loading plants to have the fuzes, bursters, fillers, and markings added.

That was not always the case as some arsenals like Frankford, Picatinny, and Edgewood had limited metal production facilities, mainly for developmental and R&D purposes. Before WWII, Frankford Arsenal seemed to make quite a bit of larger caliber ammo in-house. But once the war started and huge quantities of ammunition were needed, the metal parts production shifted to commercial industry partners who were better equipped for mass production.

As far as finding a source for an M19 crate, good luck. Ebay seems to be the best source of crates and boxes lately and I've added several interesting rifle grenade crates to the collection in the last year. But I've also looked for a WP rifle grenade crate and have so far been unsuccessful in 50+ years of searching.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    I forgot to add in my previous post that researching production of the M19 series grenades will probably be an uphill battle. After the 9-11 attacks, most information at the U.S. National Archives related to chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons was reclassified and became unavailable for viewing.

During a visit there in the 1990s, I viewed many documents on WP hand and rifle grenades. On another visit about 2005, none of that same material was available for research. I tried to make the case that information on WWII hand grenade production didn't offer the terrorists much valuable intel but "rules are rules". My complaints didn't help open any file boxes. Unless some other collector or researcher has already copied that information when it was previously available, it's unlikely you will find much from official sources.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ordnance For This Useful Post:

Steel (18th November 2019)

Thanks
    Once again gentlemen I really appreciate your help and am glad to learn.

I know of a doc somewhere which goes into WWII CWS contractors. Perhaps M19 is amongst it. In the meantime I will see what I can come up with M19 post WWII and WWII. IIRC Everedy Co. in Maryland was possibly a contractor.

Anybody has info feel free to PM. Or just to say hi.

Stay safe and have a great day. Thank you.

Thanks
    Ordnance magazine, March-April 1951, p.362 has a picture of Everedy Co.'s (Fredricksburg, MD) various products. Being the idiot I am, I don't have a picture anymore. Anybody have access?
    Some other items there too e.g. mines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast