What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20x139mm projectile colours

earni74

Premium Member
015.jpgthree 20x139mm, top two have tracer,bottom one is ball, my question is, the top round has a blue tip and I cannot for the life in me what the guy said about it, I have no information in my paperwork or books, Thanks

The colours of the bottom and middle match Hispano-Suiza ammunition.

Silver projectile body = practice
Silver projectile body + red above driving band = practice tracer

As to the top one, that's not in the document I have (DIA Small Caliber Ammunition Guide Vol II - Calibres 20 to 40 mm).

The silver and red would suggest it's some form of practice-tracer, but it's not clear what the blue tip means. They made a practice spotter-tracer, but that would have an orange-brown body.

Are there any codes, other than can be seen, on the projectiles?

Hi Eggburt1969, thanks for your input, there are no other codes than the ones you can see on the photo.
Mick

Could the blue be a marker, like used for aerial gunnery, leaves a bit of paint on the target when hit?.

Could the blue be a marker, like used for aerial gunnery, leaves a bit of paint on the target when hit?.

I'd image the blue would quickly be replaced with silver and then red as the projectile passes through. Plus the driving band would then further open up the hole to the extent you may not be able to see any of the paint, if it was scraped off.

I meant with a relatively temporary type of paint (i have examples of 'temporary' wax painted unfired projectiles that are now almost permanent), this is standard practice for aerial gunnery, against towed drogue targets. The main colours tend be be a more permanent paint and don't leave much of a mark.