Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Ordnance Approved
    Thanks

russian 8 second time fuze Nordenfelt

Hi,
    a new piece in the collection is this 8 sec. time and impact fuze for the 57 mm Nordenfelt gun.
    I am looking for more info on the guns. My russian is also quite rusty so please help me translate the attached text.
    The fuze is a brother to the 22 sec fuze here: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...ght=nordenfelt

Thanks, Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    any live or recovered ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by trained EOD personnel

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nabob For This Useful Post:

bacarnal (19th November 2019), highlandotter (19th November 2019), jvollenberg (19th November 2019), Rrickoshae (22nd November 2019)

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 846 Posts
    Hello,
    I have a picture of the same fuze found on the web from a scandinavian museum (Finnish if I remember).

57 NORD.jpg57 fuze.jpg
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by EOD personnel .

Images
    Thanks
    I see the word "shrapnel" at least three times in your Russian text.

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Finland makes perfect sense, since it was an autonomous part of Russian empire before 1917.
    Here is a part of the Rdultovsky book on fuzes. It says it was used with coastal guns. The text from my first post says something about fortification guns. My russian is not so good to get into the details.

Bob
    any live or recovered ordnance shown in my posts was dealt with by trained EOD personnel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabob View Post
    I am looking for more info on the guns.

Thanks, Bob
    It is not my field of expertise, but do you mean Maxim - Nordenfelt guns? I recently acquired an old Maxim-Nordenfelt book, which mentions several 57 mm guns, field guns and coastal guns, with case length of 224 and 306,6 mm. But what kind of gun are you looking for?
    Last edited by greif; 19th November 2019 at 08:27 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greif For This Useful Post:

highlandotter (19th November 2019), Nabob (19th November 2019), ydnum303 (25th November 2019)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    What I found sofar the case length for the 57 mm coastal gun is 128 mm.

The guns were bought by Russia. First thirty in 1894. I have found quite good info in the Shirokorad book Sovermenaja Artileria.

Bob

Thanks
    My book gives no date, but I think it is not old enough and that the gun you are referring to was already out of production. Actually it gives 3 case lenghts for the 57 mm guns: 408, 306,6 and 224 mm’s.

Thanks
    This is a great fuse !!! I can only congratulate you. I have never seen such a fuse found in Russia.
    Your text is written in the Russian language of the Tsarist period (until 1918). If you need a translation, I will help you)
    This is the literal translation of your tech:
    "Note! For shrapnel 57mm caponier guns, fuses of a conventional device could actually be suitable. The described fuse is assigned to shrapnel 57mm coastal guns, which have an initial speed of 1665 ft.sek. The purpose of this fuse is to 57mm. caponier shrapnel, the initial speed of which is much lower, is simply explained by the convenience of supplying fortresses with fuses. Yes, and the shrapnel itself at 57mm. cannon guns were also taken from a coastal gun of the same caliber."

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gr.Fr For This Useful Post:

MINENAZ16 (23rd November 2019), Nabob (25th November 2019), Rrickoshae (22nd November 2019), ydnum303 (25th November 2019)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Thank You,
    the fuze was a part of an ashtray, the lower part made from a large calibre cartridge case with ornaments. (no headstamp).
    My wife does not know how much it was :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nabob For This Useful Post:

Gr.Fr (25th November 2019)

Thanks
    In my Maxim-Nordenfelt book there is a “Canon de 57 mm à tir rapide pour Caponnière” but is has a case length (longueur de la douille) of 224 mm. It has a Max range of 3000 meters with a time of flight of 10.47 sec. So a 8 sec time fuze perhaps runs too short for this gun.