Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.

Thread: Ngsar

Thanks

Ngsar

Just thought I'd share this with you. What are your thoughts on this? Will it bring an improvement over older systems or is it still not as good as 7.62 NATO?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...n-contestants/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Just thought I'd share this with you. What are your thoughts on this? Will it bring an improvement over older systems or is it still not as good as 7.62 NATO?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...n-contestants/
    The 6.8 mm cartridge (in three different variants from the three shortlisted manufacturers) are designed to penetrate military body armour at normal combat ranges, so their external ballistics and penetration are both significantly better than the 7.62 mm NATO. However, that means they are big cartridges, generating a lot of heat and recoil.

I suspect that if one of these is adopted, it will be for the infantry at the sharp end while everyone else continues to carry the much smaller, lighter and handier 5.56 mm M4.

Thanks
    Sorry sir, I understand everything except your last sentence. By sharp end you mean SOF and Tier 1 units?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Sorry sir, I understand everything except your last sentence. By sharp end you mean SOF and Tier 1 units?
    I mean the c.140,000 US infantry, including marines and special forces, whose primary purpose is to engage in close combat with small arms.

That excludes the great majority of troops who have a wide range of other roles, but may need small arms for self defence.

Thanks
    Thank you for the clarification.