What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

38 x 115 Bronze Drill round ???

SG500

Premium Member
I picked this up recently.

Normally the excellent Hawkinson cartridge list give the answer but unfortunately it only lists cartridge length and calibre for this, only a "?" for rim diameter,

My question is, could this be a 1.5 pr light Nodenfelt and if not what is it?

There are no markings at all apart from lots of small dents and scratches. Clearly it has been around for a very long time. It could be something someone has made up as trench art but it just feels right and my thought is its a real drill round.

Measurements are,
overall length 187mm
The Case part of the items is 115mm in length
the rim diameter is 58.7mm
The calibre is 37.85mm
Weight, nearly 2.25 kg!!
Photographed next to a Rarden 30mm case for scale
IMG_4038.jpgIMG_4040.jpgIMG_4044.jpgIMG_4043.jpg

Thanks

Dave.

The shape of the case is about 11 mm short of the shortest listed case for a Nordenfelt case but the shape ,highly bottle necked is typical for some Nordenfelts. P0ssibly, this was made shorter than a firing length which would chamber in the gun? Sounds rather weird, but most Nordenfelts were sort of different than the rest of the herd.

The shape of the case is about 11 mm short of the shortest listed case for a Nordenfelt case but the shape ,highly bottle necked is typical for some Nordenfelts. P0ssibly, this was made shorter than a firing length which would chamber in the gun? Sounds rather weird, but most Nordenfelts were sort of different than the rest of the herd.

Thanks Highlandotter, the measurements correspond to the Hawkinson list of 38 x 115 which is listed as a Nordenfelt. I don't know if the list is taken from actual specimens or documentation.
Its always nice to pick up a mystery object :)
Dave.