What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Pair of 76.2mm Russian Cases.

ron3350

I have two cases I bought as a pair of Russian 76.2mm field gun cases.
They both measure the same : 76.2 x 382R which seems short. Hawkinson lists them as 385mm .

I realise the Schneider 1916 has been reloaded ( 1 dot) with a 30mm Russian primer stamped: 42M 100 32r.
Sc. Bx means Schneider Bordeaux so is it French made for Russia or a converted French Schneider field gun case?

The Russian case has a 1939 date with no visible mouth crimps . Both have 90mm rim diameters.

All comments are welcome so I can list them correctly in the collection.

Schneider above Russian case.jpegSchneider 1916.jpegRussian 1939.jpeg

Schneider marked cases were made in France to fill Russian contracts in the first World War. The US and UK also made millions of 76mm cases and projectiles for the Russians during the war. The 1939 dated case is a typical example of a pre-WWII Russian cases made by factory 187 - probably the most common factory mark. I do not know the factory name or location.

I found this interesting photo on the internet. It is a 1918 German made case for the Russian 76mm gun. I suppose by that time the Germans had captured thousands of such guns from the Russians.

Attachments

• German made 76mm case for Russian Gun 1918.jpg
    German made 76mm case for Russian Gun 1918.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 35